Hospital Inpatient Coder at UnitedHealth Group
Hospital Inpatient Coder (SSM) – National Remote
Location: United States
Requisition Number: 2103388
Job Category: Medical & Clinical Operations
Compassion. It’s the starting point for health care providers like you and it’s what drives us every day as we put our exceptional skills together with a real feeling of caring for others. This is a place where your impact goes beyond providing care one patient at a time. Because here, every day, you’re also providing leadership and contributing in ways that can affect millions for years to come. Ready for a new path? Learn more, and start doing your life’s best work.
$3000 Sign On Bonus For External Candidates
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
Combine two of the fastest – growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration, and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that’s improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn’t about another gadget, it’s about making Healthcare data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There’s no room for error. Join us and start doing your life’s best work.
This opportunity is with one of our most exciting business areas: Optum – a growing part of our family of companies that make UnitedHealth Group a Fortune 5 leader.
Optum helps nearly 60 million Americans live their lives to the fullest by educating them about their symptoms, conditions, and treatments; helping them to navigate the system, finance their healthcare needs and stay on track with their health goals. No other business touches so many lives in such a positive way. And we do it all with every action focused on our shared values of Integrity, Compassion, Relationships, Innovation & Performance.
We’re focused on improving the health of our members, enhancing our operational effectiveness, and reinforcing our reputation for high-quality health services. As a Medical Coder, you will provide coding and coding auditing services directly to providers. You’ll play a key part in healing the health system by making sure our high standards for documentation processes are being met.
What makes your clinical career greater with UnitedHealth Group? You’ll work within an incredible team culture; a clinical and business collaboration that is learning and evolving every day. And, when you contribute, you’ll open doors for yourself that simply do not exist in any other organization, anywhere.
As a part of our continued growth, we are searching for a new Medical Coder to join our team…
This position is full-time (40 hours/week) Monday – Friday. Employees are required to have flexibility to work any of our 8-hour shift schedules during our normal business hours of 5:00 am – 5:00 pm. It may be necessary, given the business need, to work occasional overtime.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
- Assigns accurate diagnostic and procedure codes according to clinical documentation and official coding guidelines for inpatient and/or outpatient hospital accounts.
- Coordinates with the clinical documentation and quality teams to ensure validation of Medicare Severity Diagnosis Related Group (MSDRG), patient safety indicators, and hospital acquired conditions are supported by physician documentation to assign appropriate coding
- Monitors assigned work queues to ensure all records are charged/coded in a timely matter.
- Generates coding queries for clarification regarding physician documentation as needed
- Stays abreast of all changes in coding conventions and coding updates
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School Diploma / GED (or higher)
- Professional coder certification with credentialing from AHIMA and/or AAPC (RHIT, RHIA, CAC, CPC, COC, CPC-P, CCS) to be maintained annually
- Ability to pass all pre-employment requirements including, but not limited to: drug screening, background check, and coding
- 1+ year of hospital coding experience
- Ability to work any 8 hour shift between 5:00am – 5:00pm including the flexibility to work occasional overtime per business need
- Ability to use a PC in a Windows environment, including EMR systems
- Inpatient Hospital Coding experience
- Required to have a dedicated work area established that is separated from other living areas and provides information privacy
- Ability to keep all company sensitive documents secure (if applicable)
- Must live in a location that can receive a UnitedHealth Group approved high-speed internet connection or leverage an existing high-speed internet service
UnitedHealth Group requires all new hires and employees to report their COVID-19 vaccination status.
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $18.17 – $32.26. The salary range for Connecticut / Nevada residents is $20.00 – $35.53. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives
**PLEASE NOTE** The sign on bonus is only available to external candidates. Candidates who are currently working for a UnitedHealth Group, UnitedHealthcare or related entity in a full time, part time, or per diem basis (“Internal Candidates”) are not eligible to receive a sign on bonus.