- Online – Remote
- Independence University
The Center for Excellence in Higher Education (CEHE) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation headquartered in Salt Lake City, Utah. CEHE operates degree-granting career colleges throughout the western United States and online. The college brands include Stevens-Henager Colleges in Utah and Idaho; CollegeAmerica in Colorado, Arizona, and Wyoming; California College San Diego, and Independence University (online platform). All of the colleges are accredited by ACCSC, a national accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. The colleges offer degree programs from the Associate’s level through the Master’s level in a variety of disciplines including Computer Science, Graphic Arts, Business/Accounting, Medical Specialties, Nursing, and Healthcare. CEHE is an at-will employer.
- Be positive and support students in helping the Instructor/professor in carrying out their lesson plans
- Familiarize yourself with different teaching techniques and learning styles, so that you may appropriately choose methods right for your student
- Familiarize yourself with your student’s learning materials, and if necessary, work with the instructor
- Be prepared. Come with what you need: pens, pencils, paper, dictionary, thesaurus, grammar handbook, etc.
- Be familiar with the source texts they are reading
- Update the professors/instructors of assigned students on a regular basis to discuss the progress of these students and to request guidance on how to help them better
- Keep accurate records of all hours spent tutoring
- Keep accurate records of the student’s pre and post evaluations
- Keep accurate records of students tutored and who did not show up for their tutoring sessions
- Keep accurate records of students called and the discussions held in relation to their class work
- Maintain all confidentiality and follow all codes and standards of ethics that apply
- Be respectful of the effort and be trustworthy
- Be encouraging and generous in praise.
- Work at the student’s level and with an agenda that serves their needs.
- Be proactive. Offer help; do not always wait for the student to ask
- Stay in contact with students and instructor so all are on the same page with regard to assignments, etc.
- Must themselves maintain academic performance as a student (above a 3.5 GPA).
- Must be able to lift 15 pounds.
- Successfully completed the course work for which they will be tutoring.
- Ability to communicate field-related knowledge to others.
- Basic proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and email plus the ability to use online student database.
Measures of Merit:
- TBD by supervisor within 90 days of hire.
This specification is intended to indicate management’s designation of the position’s essential functions, which include the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty that will be required of positions given this title, and shall not be construed as declaring the entire description of specific duties and responsibilities of any particular positions. It is not intended to limit, or in any way modify, the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under his/her supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing such duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned. All positions, unless otherwise noted in an offer letter, are 40-hour a week positions, and regular and predictable job attendance is a requirement for all positions. Ability to competently perform all essential duties of the position, with or without reasonable accommodation; a demonstrated commitment to effective customer service delivery; and the ability to work productively as a member of a team or workgroup are basic requirements of all positions at CEHE. This job description is subject to change at any time.
We are People-Focused – We respect the intelligence and potential of each staff member. We provide a working environment that permits freedom to think, speak, disagree, innovate, create, and initiate. We value and admire ambitious and productive people, and we protect them, encourage them, and create a climate in which they flourish. We love, recognize, and reward producers and performers. In return, we require our employees to have a strong work ethic and be productive. We recruit broadly and select the highest caliber people available – ambitious, knowledgeable, and talented managers, instructors, admissions consultants, and administrators.
Sound Values and Virtues – The ethical conduct of our employees is of supreme importance. We hold the following as values and virtues: rationality, purpose, innovation, productiveness, profit, honesty, integrity, justice, and pride. These values are the core of our ethical code. To be ethical means to apply, to work by, and to live by these values and virtues.
CREDO – We are dedicated to helping our students graduate and get a much better job sooner. This is our mission. We pledge to provide the finest career education possible and to graduate satisfied students who have greater knowledge, skills, and self-esteem in the shortest possible time. Our education is high value, clear, and interesting and achieves the highest level of learning and achievement for students. We want to deliver twice as much in half the time.
CEHE is a drug-free environment and we perform drug testing.
Equal Opportunity Employer – We are an equal opportunity employer. No employee, or applicant for employment, shall be discriminated against in any term or condition of employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, or sexual orientation. We are constantly striving to make our colleges the best they can be. As an employee, you become part of that mission. We expect a commitment that you will be the best you can be.