Head of Support at Whatnot
Title: Head of Support
Whatnot (YC W20) is a livestream shopping platform and marketplace backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Y Combinator, and CapitalG. We’re one of YC’s top companies and one of the fastest growing marketplaces ever. We’re laser focused on creating an exceptional software company, team, and place to work. You can read our principles here.
Our mission: enable anyone to turn their passion into a business and bring people together through commerce. We’re building the future of ecommerce; an interactive community where creators can make a living off their passion.
Did we mention we’re high growth? In January 2021, Whatnot had 10 ambitious employees. Today, the Whatnot team is 120+ employees and will exceed 300 by year end. We’re hiring forward thinking problem solvers across all functional areas. We recruit thoughtfully, can adapt quickly, and are scaling fully remotely.
The ecommerce experience has been static for 20+ years and is one of the largest opportunities for disruption in the startup space today. Livestream shopping is a $170B GMV market in China and has grown 100% YoY. Retail is a $5T market opportunity!
About the Marketplace Operations Team
The Marketplace Operations Team is the engine that enables us to deliver an amazing experience to our customers. We deliver extraordinary support to our sellers and buyers, ensure the trust & safety of the platform, optimize our fulfillment logistics, and drive continuous improvement in everything we do.
Whatnot is hiring an expert Head of Support to lead our efforts to build and deliver a best-in-class experience for our Whatnot community. You will be asked to scale the internal support team, develop the support experience strategy, coach and develop a team of managers, and execute a range of complex support programs. You’ll work closely with cross-functional teams across Trust and Safety, Product, Engineering, Legal, Policy, Outsourcing, etc as the partner to help build the best support experience in the industry. You will report to the Head of Marketplace Operations, and work closely with other functional leaders to ensure we are building the best experience for Whatnot’s customers.
- Design and implement the vision and strategy for the Support organization, which includes setting short, mid, and long-term goals, establishing strong performance metrics, building the team, and focusing on continuous improvement.
- Drive the strategy and plan to implement a best-in-class end-to-end support experience for our Whatnot community, that can both scale and deliver a delightful experience.
- Recruit, train, coach, and guide the support team members and managers.
- Establish strong cross-functional alignment and collaboration with Product, Engineering, and Trust & Safety, with clearly defined processes and expectations.
- Partner closely with senior leadership to ensure the support function is closely aligned with wider organizational goals.
- Create and improve processes for effectively analyzing support metrics & KPIs, along with user feedback, and using key insights to drive upstream product/policy/process improvements.
- Act as point of contact for support escalations that impact Whatnot’s community.
Curious about who thrives at Whatnot? We’ve found that low ego, a growth mindset, and leaning into action and high impact goes a long way here.
- 10+ years of leadership experience in scaled Support operations, or equivalent field.
- Sound business judgment, including using data to drive strategy and business action.
- Proven leadership skills, adept at communication, collaboration, and people development.
- Strong critical thinking, strategic problem-solving, and analytical capabilities.
- Highly effective and working cross-functionally with product, ops, and exec leadership
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Able to move remarkably fast with little structure and guidance
- Competitive base salary and stock options
- Unlimited Vacation Policy and No Meeting Holidays
- Health Insurance options including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Short term disability & Long term Disability
- Whatnot covers 99% of employee premium costs, and 75% of dependent care premiums for Medical
- Dental and Vision sponsored 100% by Whatnot for employees and dependents
- Work From Home Support
- Laptop provided by Whatnot and home office setup allowance
- $450 work-from-anywhere quarterly allowance for cell phone, internet, or co-working space
- Up to $500 monthly to spend within Whatnot App
- Care benefits
- $1,350 quarterly allowance on food
- $1,500 quarterly allowance for wellness
- Paid Parental Leave
- $20,000 for family planning, such as adoption or fertility expenses
- During the COVID-19 Pandemic, Whatnot provides a $20,000 annual allowance towards Nannies, Daycare, and Caregiving support
Whatnot is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, parental status, disability status, or any other status protected by local law. We believe that our work is better and our company culture is improved when we encourage, support, and respect the different skills and experiences represented within our workforce.