Head of People at Doorstead
Head of People
- Remote OK
- Human Resources
There are 20 million single-family residences (SFRs) in the United States, more than 19 million of which are owned by 15.5 million “very small investors,” individuals or families who own one or two units. For these rental property owners, there is little in the way of data or technology to help them understand the market rental rates for their property, find and market to the highest quality prospective tenants, and manage the ongoing maintenance of their rental units with minimal headache. Pain points like these are why more than a third of all SFR owners turn to property managers for help.
Full-service property management for SFRs is a hyper-local and highly fragmented business. And just like the owners, property managers have little in the way of data, tools, and automated processes to enable them to scale and work smartly. Further, there is a misalignment of incentives between traditional property managers and the owners they represent – managers can promise a high rental rate to win the business but do so without consequence if they secure a lower rate. They pitch fast leasing timeframes but have no skin in the game when vacancies stretch from weeks to months. Missteps on both of these fronts come at a high cost; they often are the difference between a homeowner making or losing money on their rental property each year.
Doorstead (DRE# 02089344) is here to address these pain points and more which have long been considered “unfixable” by property owners. Doorstead is a full-service, digitally-driven property management company that puts both the owner and tenant customers at the center of what they do. For owners, they eliminate uncertainty by guaranteeing market rents, caps on vacancy, and cash flow. The company invested early in building local data sets and machine learning models, leveraging tens of attributes for a given home to predict market-clearing rents that minimize vacancy while maximizing owner cash flow. The Doorstead guarantee gives owners peace of mind while aligning incentives of the owner and manager.
In less than 2 years of operations, we’ve booked 8-figure gross rents, indexed rental prices for over 10MM properties, and raised $17M+ from the investors who backed Redfin with participation from executives at Opendoor and Uber. We believe that without the smart, hard-working individuals that make up our winning team, we would not be where it is today. We have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to reimagine an entire industry and create the right way for today.
The Head of People oversees the entire lifecycle of Doorstead’s people activities from recruiting, training, and culture.
While every bold vision starts with a single step, it can only be realized with a team of people working together. We believe that people are our greatest asset and that a holistic approach to people management leads to a world-class organization. This attracts better talent, prepares them to succeed, and helps them unlock their fullest potential.
The candidate in this role will be managing three core functions:
- Recruiting: Overseeing all hiring & recruiting activities to make sure that every candidate has a consistent quality experience with Doorstead.
- Training: Working with the teams to build onboarding workflows, training curriculum, and social pods to help onboard candidates as quickly as possible with psychological safety.
- Culture: Build a world-class organization that unlocks every team member’s fullest potential while building culture-reinforcing mechanisms in day-to-day activities.
Broadly, the candidate will be responsible for managing our team’s basic needs, psychological, and self-fulfillment needs (i.e Maslow’s hierarchy). This means making sure that each team member can provide for themselves physiologically, ensuring a feeling of safety and security, enabling serendipitous relationships to be formed, providing team members with feelings of prestige, and unlocking the fullest potential from our team. We want everyone to have a great experience with Doorstead and enjoy this once-in-a-lifetime journey.
Practically, the candidate will be responsible for:
- the marketing materials to attract and source the best team members
- the process and systems for managing recruiting
- onboarding and training curriculum to bring them into the troupe
- culture programming for the day-to-day, monthly, and quarterly activities
- managing payroll, benefits, and compensation bands
- the process for promotions, ratifications, and adjustments
- other human resource policies (e.g. policies related to location and geography)
The ideal candidate will need to be able to manage their time effectively and be able to manage a portfolio of projects on different operating cadences:
- Urgent (20%) – things that need to be done to keep the business running
- Near term (60%) – projects that will unlock value in the current quarter
- Long term (20%) – projects that will create value in future quarters and years
The right candidate for Doorstead will be someone who has:
- an owner mentality with high empathy and customer obsession
- an athlete mindset focused on deliberate practice and building momentum
- a lifelong learner who has an internal compass and believes in radical candor
- a member of a troupe that believes we’re better together and it is important to be on time, every time
- a pioneer who fearlessly breaks through challenges and believes in working hard, smart, and being disciplined.
To succeed in this role, the candidate will need a strong understanding of what motivates each and every person, and how to unlock their creative potential. The candidate should enjoy getting things done, and thinking strategically about how to create a well-functioning company.
This role will report directly a member of the executive management team, and you’ll have the opportunity to be in the executive room with the leadership team. As the company grows, this role will grow into a managerial role with direct reports.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!