Graphic Designer at The AI Education Project
Graphic Designer (Remote)
Work Type: Contract
The AI Education Project (aiEDU) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit centering equity and accessibility in AI education. We educate students—especially those disproportionately impacted by AI and automation—with the conceptual knowledge and skills they need to thrive as future workers, creators, consumers, and citizens.
AIEDU is on the verge of launching a brand new AI-focused curriculum for high school students across the country. We are looking for an experienced designer to refine and enhance the visual design of our curricular materials. The designer will work closely with our curriculum team to turn our existing lesson plans and supporting documents into a set of aesthetically pleasing student and teacher-facing materials. The designer may also be responsible for creating additional lesson plan and slide templates for future projects.
This is a part-time contract role that could last anywhere from 3-6 months depending on the designer’s availability. We are a fully remote team working across time zones. As such, we expect contractors to be independent workers who communicate clearly and often. We are extremely flexible with the hours our employees work and, outside of regular meetings with our Director of Curriculum, encourage contractors to work during the days and times that are convenient for them.
Note: This is not a curriculum development role. Our in-house curriculum team develops all of our content. This role is solely responsible for the visual design of our educational materials.
- Developing innovative, functional visual design guidelines for curricular materials built for in-person learning
- Revising the design of AIEDU’s new curriculum to meet those guidelines
- Building easy-to-use templates for lesson plans, classroom slides, and training materials from the ground up
- Meeting weekly with our Director of Curriculum and Curriculum Lead to manage project scope and timeline
- Collaborating with our in-house designer to ensure alignment with our current branding
Our ideal candidate might have:
- 2+ years of experience in graphic or instructional design
- Experience designing curricular materials including but not limited to lesson plans, slide decks, student worksheets, and other supplemental documents
- Familiarity with Google products including Google Docs and Slides
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills
- Drive to take initiative, try new things, and make mistakes
- Willingness to give and receive constructive feedback
- Work samples that showcase personal design style
Even better if you have:
- Prior teaching experience
- Knowledge of and/or interest in ethical artificial intelligence
- Experience working remotely on a distributed team
This is a part-time, contract position (~20 hours per week) with the opportunity for additional design contracts in the future. Flexible hourly pay based on experience and work samples.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The AI Education Project is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that building and empowering a diverse team is a strategic imperative in our work, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies with regard to all aspects of employment, including hiring, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.