Graphic Design Supervisor
CA San Francisco Office
San Francisco, CA, USA
Work from Home
Standards Assessment and Accountability Services (SAAS) is involved extensively at the local, state, and national levels in planning, developing, implementing, and evaluating standards and assessment tools, methods, and systems. Some of SAAS work is aimed at revealing how well students or workers are learning or performing; other parts of our work address broader concerns of accountability and program or school success. SAAS serves as the test-development contractor for high-stakes assessment programs in several states. Its projects also examine the technical aspects of assessment, as well as focus on a range of assessment and accountability-related issues for various student populations (e.g., English language learners, students with disabilities) and for traditional academic areas and developing fields (e.g., alternative school accountability).
Compensation is competitive dependent on experience. This is at a WestEd Level F salary grade.
The Graphic Design Supervisor plays a critical role in the supervision of desktop publishing and graphic design staff within the SAAS program. Unwavering attention to quality is required in the role, as it oversees the team that develops materials for both online and print high-stakes assessments. Experience and awareness of current practices surrounding graphics design software for such products is required.
The role reports to and works in direct collaboration with the SAAS Production Manager. The primary functions of this role are to 1) Supervise graphic design team members; 2) Manage design team staffing assignments and allocations; 3) Represent SAAS graphic design within the program and within the agency; and 4) Serve as graphic design lead on critical projects.
Supervise graphic design team members
- Perform all supervisor functions such as approving timesheets, engaging in performance reviews, approving vacations, etc.
- Assign graphic design project leads across SAAS, overseeing quality through spot checks and touchpoints as appropriate.
- Ensure all project graphic design protocols are documented. Documentation should be of sufficient detail as to serve as onboarding guidance for new or temporary staff.
- As partner to assigned project lead(s), step in to liaise with clients and leadership for project issues.
- Create and support growth opportunities for all supervisees, using Human Resources established documentation tools, toward the annual goals established within SAAS.
- Ensure hardware, software, and licensing is current for the all design team members such that work is not interrupted.
- Track changing industry expectations related to print and online materials, keeping graphic design team members current.
- Ensure quality assurance protocols and best practices are in place.
- Oversee maintenance of centralized team communication Dashboard.
- Manage design team staffing assignments and allocations Serve as a member of the Resource Allocation Planning Team (RAPT) the SAAS centralized staffing resources system.
- Work with project managers and the Production Manager to accurately project resource needs for staff, several months out.
- Manage day-to-day assignment changes due to changing project timelines and expectations.
- Oversee the hiring of temporary staff to fill resource gaps.
- Propose when to hire new permanent team members.
- Maintain relationship with human resources and liaise with temp agency hiring manager as needed.
- Represent SAAS graphic design within the program and within the agency
- Support the drafting of text and labor/effort estimates proposals targeting assessment production tasks (potential new work).
- For all projects, step in as need to provide guidance, troubleshoot issues, and interface with client upon request.
- Keep informed and learn about agency practices related to design; be an active contributing member to the WestEd design professional learning community.
Serve as graphic design lead on critical projects
- Assign self where there is the most benefit to the program.
- Assist other projects as needed to ensure overall program success.
- Expert level skills in graphic design software, including Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Acrobat, and Photoshop, InDesign (Adobe Creative Cloud).
- Two (2) years of experience overseeing one or more staff.
- Three (3) years of experience working as a desktop publisher on high stakes assessments.
- Three (3) years of experience working as a graphic illustrator on high stakes assessments.
- Experience managing components of high-stakes assessment production workflows.
- Additional expertise or knowledge in animation and/or web-related design.