General Counsel at Granicus
We are looking for a General Counsel (GC) to continue the growth of our legal, compliance and contracting teams as we bring more legal functions in-house with a focus on risk management, strategic use of government contract vehicles, business contracts, M&A activities, intellectual property and labor law, as well as improved organizational efficiency and effectiveness. The GC will have overall responsibility for the Legal, Government Contracting and Contract Renewal functions of a fast growing, private equity backed, enterprise software organization. The GC will be responsible for a sophisticated government contracting function across Federal, State, and Local government, will serve as a legal advisor on all major business contracts including but not limited to human resources, real estate and vendor agreements, manage copyrights and trademarks and will be responsible for managing the government contract renewals team. The GC will be responsible for the negotiation and management of customer contracts, license agreements, partnership agreements and insurance matters. The GC will also participate in key merger and acquisitions workstreams, including legal compliance and due diligence. They will oversee compliance with corporate governance and manage general legal matters. The GC will coordinate with outside counsel and private equity advisors as a key part of the function.
Successful candidates will have a strong track record of increasing responsibility in a corporate legal function, particularly in contracting in a technology firm or at a legal firm with a focus on technology clients. Experience in the public sector or with government contracts is highly desired. In addition, they will be team player with outstanding advocacy and strong people skills.
It is expected that the GC will focus on the following responsibilities:
- Advising executive, senior management and corporate board on various matters such as legal risks, regulatory and compliance mandates and status of key legal initiatives for the company.
- Managing organization’s legal matters.
- Managing legal and corporate compliance / governance.
- Examining and creating corporate agreements, such as employment, licensing and vendor agreements.
- Creating a sophisticated government contracting organization including strategic development of Federal, State and Local contracting vehicles.
- Effectively operating an effective and efficient government contracting and renewals operation.
- Developing and managing a government affairs organization.
- Maintaining knowledge of organization’s operations and legal documents.
- Conducting legal research and reviewing company’s litigation strategy pertaining to legal actions and responding to alleged violations of rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Promulgating and creating directives of corporate acts and decisions.
- Preserving all corporate records, including creating & managing corporate legal entities.
- Handling statutory filings, such as licensing forms.
- Managing organization’s intellectual property.
- Facilitating M&A due diligence and negotiations
- Understand and proactively anticipate potential new regulations, applications, or hurdles to the Company’s strategy and roadmap
- Manage commercial insurance policies and claims.
Skills & Requirements
The successful candidate will be a transparent, collaborative, efficient, business-minded and relationship-driven leader, who can serve as one of the senior leaders of the Company. Their hallmark will be to foster an open and transparent environment where personal accountability and excellence are valued. S/he will have a track record of success as an experienced General Counsel or Legal leader.
In addition, the qualifications and practice/leadership experience will include the following:
- Juris Doctor degree from accredited, top-tier law school.
- 4+ years practice with an established law firm.
- Experience in a technology company or legal firm with a focus on technology.
- Public sector experience is highly desirable.
- Proficient legal experience in M&A, combination of relevant commercial experience preferably in technology, strategic transactions, commercial contracting, labor and employee relations matters, litigation, compliance.
- Experiencing effectively and successfully managing a team.
- Experience with corporate governance issues and corporate secretarial duties.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of statutes, rules and regulations pertaining to businesses.
- Proficient understanding of business sensitivities and confidentiality.
- A background working in or representing a technology company in a robust regulatory environment is preferred.
Granicus is committed to providing equal employment opportunities. All qualified applicants and employees will be considered for employment and advancement without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, physical or mental disability, age, genetic information, sexual or affectional orientation, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, familial status, military or veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!