General Counsel at Penrose Hill
- San Francisco, California, United States
- Full time
Have you ever wanted disrupt a 70bn industry and be a key member of a fully integrated consumer and business facing marketing company which is supported by a supply chain that stretches from the US to Europe and across the Southern Hemisphere? Do you fancy a deep-dive into the intricate details of law while maintaining the nimbleness of a data-driven, digital company? Are you keen to help a young, fast-growing company continue to evolve into a world-class, employer of choice? Well, then, come say hi!
We are seeking Firstleaf’s first General Counsel to collaborate with the Founders and executive management to create the next chapter of growth for the company. This role will support development and execution of the company’s strategy while ensure that the company operates within the law at all times, including all federal/state beverage alcohol regulations. We are seeking an experienced, collaborate thought partner to offer counsel on legal issues, be an effective guardian of the organization and facilitate achievement of business operating and growth objectives.
In this highly visible role, some of your initial challenges will include:
- Oversee all legal matters of the business, including acting as the company’s legal representative
- Serve as a thought partner to executive management in strategy definition and operational execution
- Provide expert and strategic legal advice to drive growth while ensuring compliance with all legal requirements and protecting the interests of the company
- Deal with legal matters from the mundane to complex, significant matters that all cut across legal and related area
Define requirements and ensure company-wide compliance with all relevant beverage alcohol rules and regulations, including record keeping and requisite filing
- Ensure company properly calculates and pays all relevant federal and state excise taxes
- Build a corporate legal function with the internal and/or external competencies required to operate as a public company
- Once applicable, ensure company complies with all SEC required regulations, disclosures and filings
- Minimum 8 years legal experience, with a minimum 4 years as an associate with a leading national law firm required
- Experience working as a leader within the corporate legal team or providing counsel to publicly traded companies on key corporate legal issues such as contract law, securities law and M&A required
- Overall broad legal knowledge including corporate law, litigation, employment law required
- In-depth understanding of how legal issues affect organizations at a day-to-day operational level required
- JD degree required
- In-depth understanding of beverage alcohol regulatory environment or depth of experience in securities transactions and M&A required
- In-depth understanding of beverage alcohol regulatory environment and requirements considered a plus
- Experience in securities transactions and M&A transaction diligence and negotiation considered a plus
- Experience working with a company that has gone through capital raising and/or public market entry considered a plus
- Experience with SEC regulatory requirements and ensuring SEC regulatory compliance considered a plus
- MBA or business/economics degree considered a plus
Working with the world’s best wine company isn’t enough?
Seriously though, we offer remote work*, and a location-agnostic philosophy added to a very flexible work schedule. Unlimited vacation time. Further, we offer a competitive compensation package with bonus and stock options grants, plus choices with medical, dental and vision coverage, as well as flexible spending accounts. life insurance, 401(k), employee assistance program, discounted pet insurance. And to top it off: a monthly wine credit with our wine club, Firstleaf.
Note: Work location is flexible if approved by the Company except that the position may not be performed remotely from Colorado.*
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!