General Counsel at Shogun
United States (Remote)
Shogun is on a mission to empower brands to create exceptional eCommerce experiences, and in the process, build the world’s best remote company.
Since being in the Winter 2018 batch of Y-Combinator, we’ve seen tremendous growth while intentionally creating a culture where people from all backgrounds belong. Our company and products are informed by diverse perspectives from the best talent around the world. We are fully remote, have no offices, and are looking for team members who are excited to work remotely.
We closed our Series A and B in 2020, and after raising a $67.5M Series C in 2021, we are scaling faster than ever. Join us to grow your career with our rapidly growing company!
For this position, we are looking for candidates located in the United States.
What You’ll Do
This position will be responsible for supporting corporate objectives while ensuring the organization operates within the law. Reporting to the CEO, the GC will engage in a broad range of general corporate matters, including defining and developing corporate policies, procedures, and programs as well as providing counsel and guidance on all legal matters. As a key senior executive of the company, they will ensure Shogun’s growth is governed by a clear, business-enabling legal framework that manages and anticipates organization risk.
- Lead, manage and develop a best-in-class, high-performance legal team, and related support functions.
- Provide strategic direction to the CEO, the Executive Leadership Team, and the Board of Directors on all legal matters.
- Interact with regulators, outside counsel, and other external parties as to the face and voice of the company’s legal function.
- Direct and manage efforts related to audits, reviews, and examinations, as needed. Ensure compliance with all international, federal, state, and local government regulations as applicable to the business, including global labor law.
- Provide oversight and negotiation of all company contracts, including those relating to commercial agreements, suppliers and vendors, payers, distributors, software and technology licensing, employment, and consulting.
- Support business development organization and outside counsel in corporate-level alliances and transactions.
- Lead implementation of enterprise risk assessments and mitigation plan, working closely with other members of the company’s executive leadership team, and informing and advising the company’s Board of Directors as needed.
- Establish standards and implement procedures and policies, with a focus on scale-up needed for US commercialization, to ensure that the compliance programs throughout the organization are effective and efficient in identifying, preventing, detecting, and correcting noncompliance with applicable laws and regulations within the US.
- Advise the company on litigation risks of possible business decisions, manage and oversee threatened and actual litigation or other legal proceedings, and advise on appropriate strategy to defend or resolve litigation.
- Oversee leadership of the company’s intellectual property strategy and enforcement, including protection of new ideas, management of company’s patent and trademark portfolio, and working with business and outside counsel to ensure intellectual property is identified and protected.
- Lead and coordinate the legal services provided, including selection and supervision of external corporate counsel, and evaluate the quality and costs of outside counsel.
What You’ll Bring
- A JD degree from an accredited university is required for this role.
- A minimum of at least 10 years of professional business and leadership experience in the legal function.
- Senior leadership experience in a high-growth startup and/or publicly traded organization.
- Experience with SaaS and/or relevant technology companies with commercial operations is strongly preferred.
- Experience working in a multinational organization is strongly preferred.
- The ability to communicate effectively at all levels and present complex and/or new ideas with clarity and simplicity.
- Proven successful track record of enabling business success through clear, culturally enhancing policies, standards, and frameworks.
- Experience interacting effectively with the Executive Leadership Team and Board of Directors.
- Solid critical thinker with a proven ability to collaborate with both leadership and teams, demonstrating ability to influence, make sound decisions and drive alignment.
- Natural leader with a positive management style, combined with superior communication skills and unwavering ethics and integrity.
- Superior interpersonal skills and executive presence, with an effective ability to quickly establish credibility, trust and support within all levels of the organization.
- Solutions-oriented and driven leader with ability to convey a clear vision, with a demonstrated track record of executing against results.
- Leads and reinforces company values and culture in day-to-day behaviors, management style, and expectations.
- Lead by example, attract and develop talent, build partnerships and create a culture of collaboration and teamwork that fosters open communication, constructive conflict resolution and organizational flexibility.
What We Offer
- Competitive salary
- Benefits (vary by location)
- A highly skilled and dedicated team that is fun to work with
- Remote work – We are a diverse and distributed team that uses Slack, Zoom, Notion and other tools to stay connected
- Work in the open: Operate with high integrity and choose what’s right over what’s easy. Be transparent as a company and with each other
- People are People: Treat yourself, colleagues, and customers with dignity, empathy, and respect. Start from a presumption of positive intent
- Win and grow together: Strive to be the best, individually, and as a team. Support and encourage each other. Seek opportunities for growth
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!