GA Editor at BuzzFeed
Title: GA Editor
Location: New York, or Remote
About BuzzFeed, Inc.
BuzzFeed, Inc. (Ticker: BZFD) is home to the best of the internet. Across food, news, pop culture and commerce, our brands drive conversation and inspire what audiences watch, read, buy, and obsess over next. Born on the internet in 2006, BuzzFeed, Inc. is committed to making it better: providing trusted, quality, brand-safe news and entertainment to hundreds of millions of people; making content on the internet more inclusive, empathetic, and creative; and inspiring our audience to live better lives. We’ll continue to recruit the best founders and creators to join us in this mission, with more additions like Complex Networks and HuffPost to come.
BuzzFeed News is hiring a News Editor on its Breaking news team to help lead its coverage of the biggest news of the day and week.
The News Editor role is one of the most dynamic at BuzzFeed News. It involves assigning coverage, line editing, big picture editing, developing coverage strategy and story ideas, managing and developing a team of reporters, helping launch new initiatives for the Breaking team at large, and serving as a leader for other desks around the newsroom.
In one week you could be at the helm of our coverage of a devastating hurricane, the next you could be navigating coverage of the latest meme, or shepherding an investigation into working conditions in Hollywood.
Throughout it all, the news editor should be comfortable guiding coverage in the moment and advancing the sharp and thoughtful questions and angles that could lead to exclusive, creative, or truly distinct coverage. This desk is smart about the pitfalls of breaking news reporting in the internet age such as running too quickly with assumptions and this editor should be able to avoid them.
The news editorhas to develop a strong sense of the BuzzFeed News reader, and how we serve them, balancing the news of the day with the news of the week and month. What story is one-and-done? What needs followup? What needs a drumbeat of reporting? What should be a deeper dive?
The person also has to embrace BuzzFeed News’s voice we don’t mince words, we speak the language of the internet, and we can be witty and funny.
- The news editor will report to the Breaking News Co-Director, and will manage several reporters on the breaking news desk. The schedule for this role is Tuesday through Saturday, starting at 8 a.m. ET on the weekdays and later in the morning on the weekend. On Saturday, the news editor will be in the critical position of being the leader of the newsroom, making coverage decisions and deciding how BuzzFeed News should spend its resources.
- This editor will often be the only layer between copy that is filed and published. Therefore the editor needs strong line editing skills, or the ability and desire to develop them, knowing how to edit for grammar, clarity, accuracy, and the most engaging language possible.
- Thenews editorwill need to be an empathetic and candid manager who is supportive of staff and is dedicated to growing their careers. They should be able to communicate with reports about the things that are working and the things that are not working, and to address the latter issues head-on and find solutions.
- We at BuzzFeed News recognize that not every candidate will come in with fully developed skills in editing, managing, and coverage strategy building the skills for a long career is a lifelong process. We will work with the successful candidate to identify their strong areas and to amplify them, and to identify their areas of improvement and to improve upon them.
Part of what makes BuzzFeed a pioneer in digital media is our commitment to exploring new ventures that lead to spreading truth and joy. As such, you may be asked to share your knowledge with your colleagues through presentations or trainings, to screen and interview job candidates, or to take part in recruitment or networking events on behalf of the company.
- At least 4 years of experience managing news reporters in a fast-paced newsroom
- Fluency in internet culture, what people are talking about, and how to avoid misinformation
Please apply with a r sum , your social media handles, and a cover letter that tells us more about you, your work, and why you’d be good for the job.
Life at BuzzFeed, Inc.
We celebrate inclusion and are committed to equal opportunity employment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
You can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options.
- A generous benefits program featuring paid time off, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more.
We want all employees to feel safe and comfortable when they engage in any in-person meetings, when visiting the office, or when working from an offsite production or meeting location. As part of this commitment to health and safety, BuzzFeed requires COVID-19 vaccines for current U.S. employees, including all newly hired employees. Requests for accommodation per applicable law for health and/or religious reasons will be considered. Union employees are subject to what is outlined in their applicable collective bargaining agreement.
Note: BuzzFeed, Inc. offers remote/flexible work (unless specified to be required to be in-person) and open to hiring remote candidates who are residents in the following states: CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MS, MT, NC, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA, and WV. For non sales roles, we can also hire in AK, AR, AZ, ID, KS, MO, ND, SC, and VT.