at Learning Equality
San Diego, or remote
Learning Equality is a San Diego-based education technology non-profit that sits at the intersection of the online world and the disconnected communities. We started with a product bringing the Khan Academy experience offline reaching more than 6 million users in 200 countries and territoriesand have now shifted gears to being the primary developers of Kolibri, an open source application written in Python that makes high-quality education technology available in low-resource communities.
You will be working on software that will help uplift the lives of millions of learners all around the world, from prison systems in the U.S. to remote villages in India to refugee camps in Kenya.
We are looking for Full Stack engineers to support the development of:
- Our Kolibri application, an open-source educational platform, available in dozens of languages, that is specially designed to provide offline access to a curated and openly licensed educational content library with tools for pedagogical support for use in low-resource and low-connectivity contexts.
- Our cloud-based platform Kolibri Studio, also open source and Python-based, which gives users full control over the organization of their educational materials. Using this content curation system, anyone can explore pre-organized libraries of open educational resources, and bundle, tag, differentiate, re-order, and distribute their contents offline as custom channels.
In this job, you might:
- Work on Django, the REST framework and SQL to build backend features.
- Work with modern JS web frameworks to build the frontend user experience.
- Work on build tooling and automated testing frameworks to assist your fellow developers.
- Add new resources to the organization’s growing openly licensed content library.
- Create an analytics framework for our implementations team.
- Solid experience in web technologies, such as the HTTP protocol, HTML and modern JS frameworks.
- Familiarity with at least one of the modern backend web frameworks, such as React, Vue or Angular.
- Experience in creating a working implementation from a design prototype.
- Industry experience in working with a team of developers.
- Experience in Unix shell scripting.
- Knowledge of deployment tools, such as Ansible, Terraform, or Kubernetes.
- Experience with the code review process, preferably through the GitHub Pull Request system.
- A deeper knowledge of Python’s inner workings, such as the module mechanism, C extensions, and the package system.
Why you should join us
- You will contribute to supporting quality learning opportunities for disconnected and marginalized communities around the world through work with great implementation collaborators like Vodafone Foundation, UNICEF, and UNHCR.
- With the support of funders like Google.org, the Hewlett Foundation, Riot Games, and the only tech nonprofit accelerator Fast Forward, we are continuing to grow our products to be able to reach even more places around the world.
- You’ll be joining an award-winning team covered by BBC Future, Tech Radar, TED, Black Duck Software, Mashable, Fast Company, and others.
- Our employees have excellent comprehensive health, dental and vision coverage, FSA and commuter benefits, 401K accounts with a fixed match, wellness benefits, and flexible hours and vacation.
- We support personal professional development through an education fund.
- You wouldn’t go hungry with a fully stocked snack cabinet and Thursday lunches in San Diego, or extra compensation if remote.
- If you choose to move, you get to live in 260+ days of San Diego sunshine, and we provide relocation assistance as needed.
- We’re a fun team that enjoys rock climbing, board games and the occasional beach cookout.