Full Stack Developer at Climate Interactive
Full Stack Developer – Climate Interactive
The Full Stack Developer will have responsibility for ongoing software development and server operations at Climate Interactive. This includes the En-ROADS climate solution simulator, the C-ROADS World Climate global treaty simulator, and other new applications. The Developer will work with a team that includes System Dynamics modelers and communications specialists to bring knowledge of the climate crisis and solutions to a worldwide audience. The projects will be seen and used by thousands of people around the world. The Developer will touch every aspect of Climate Interactive’s applications, from visual and user interface design, to model calculations, to web server deployment and maintenance. There are also opportunities for other creative outlets, such as developing apps, podcasts, and videos as part of a nimble team.
The Developer will work remotely with the virtual team at Climate Interactive. This requires skill at working independently and good communications skills.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Develop and maintain one of the world’s leading online climate solution simulators, En-ROADS, and other existing apps
- Estimate task time/effort and communicate that clearly to managers, helping prioritize tasks and issues
- Design, modify, and update user interface elements of the HTML and Electron apps
- Support Climate Interactive team members using git and other tools, as is required by their jobs for documentation and other non-programming activities
- Evaluate new technologies as needed, such as AWS services and new frameworks
- Design and implement new, smaller applications such as the Climate Scoreboard and other online interactives
- Publish SDK of Climate Interactive’s models for use by media, museums, app developers, and other external partners
- Setup and maintain key server infrastructure (e.g, AWS) for deployment of web apps
- Write clear documentation for all the work done so that others at CI can help with tasks
Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, mathematics, engineering, or related technical field
- Five years of work experience in web software development, with professional experience in the following areas:
- Server programming using Node.js
- Server operations using Ubuntu Linux and shell scripts
- Deployment on cloud platforms such as Amazon Web Services
- Documenting software development and operations procedures
- Chart packages such as Charts.js
- Visual and interaction design, including proficiency with design tools
- Git distributed version control
- The ideal candidate will also have experience in some or all of the following areas:
- C programming
- Programming language implementation
- Vue.js web framework development
- User interface localization
- WebAssembly development
- Electron desktop development
- REST API design
- iOS application development in Swift
- Vensim System Dynamics modeling software
- Basic understanding of climate science and energy policy
- Demonstrated commitment to work on the climate crisis
Valued and Non-Essential Education, Experience, Knowledge and Ability:
Working knowledge of other subject areas within the CI mission including: clean energy, climate change modeling, and systems thinking.
- Exceptional communicator
- Extremely well organized, detail-oriented and analytical
- Team player
Salary and Benefits:
CI offers salary commensurate with experience and includes health care, vacation, holidays, 401(k), and fitness stipend.
Climate Interactive overview:
Climate Interactive is a think tank that creates tools and resources to help people explore what it takes to address climate change. Climate Interactive has developed a reputation of providing unique tools and analysis that distill complex science and data into forms accessible to a wide range of audiences with computer modeling, systems thinking, organizational learning, and cutting-edge facilitation practices. With a staff of 11 that is largely based on the US East Coast, Climate Interactive relies on a wide range of skills and experience across our team to consistently deliver high-impact approaches to helping people see what works to address climate change.
Climate Interactive has had success in bringing hands-on simulators to groups such as the United Nations Secretary General’s office, U.S. Senators and Representatives, the Chinese government’s climate team, New York Times readers, and tens of thousands of citizen climate leaders in over 80 countries.
Climate Interactive is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!