Financial News Reporter at The Balance
Financial News Reporter
- Contract / Freelance United States
About Your Role
As a financial news reporter, you will help consumers make sense of the latest developments in the world of personal finance, explaining not just what’s happening but how it affects their lives. You should have a solid background in one or more of the following coverage areas: the economy, public policy, regulation, credit cards, mortgages, taxes, investing, retirement, insurance and financial planning. This is a contract role with potential for extension and can be considered for part-time or full-time.
Every day, hundreds of thousands of people rely on The Balance to make financial decisions. They are consumers, savers, entrepreneurs, investors, students, retirees, and professionals—anyone looking to improve their financial livelihood. You will help ensure we publish the most informative, accurate, and transparent information about financial products, legislation, regulatory changes, economic indicators, and trends in the financial markets, reinforcing The Balance brand as a pillar of service journalism.
The ideal candidate will have a thorough understanding of personal finance topics, and a strong editorial background, preferably in news.
About Your Contributions
In this role, you will:
- Write well-sourced, thorough and informative articles that engage our readers
- Have and develop a deep bench of sources that provide context and perspective to your coverage
- Be driven by a constant curiosity to get more and better answers
- Have a strong command of your beat and a willingness to learn more
- Meet regular deadlines, often daily, to produce top-notch content quickly
- Help the news editorial team set the daily agenda
You should have:
- At least three years writing or reporting for a digital publisher or news outlet, preferably covering a personal finance beat
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills, attention to detail, and ability to multitask
- Strong editorial judgement
- Desire to work in a fast-paced environment and help make people smarter in their financial lives
- Availability part-time or full-time
- The ability to work remotely
It’s preferred if you have:
- News experience
Dotdash’s vibrant brands help over 100 million users each month find answers, solve problems, and get inspired. Dotdash is among the largest and fastest growing publishers online, and has won over 50 awards in the last year alone, including Digiday’s 2020 Publisher of the Year. Dotdash brands include Verywell, Investopedia, The Balance, The Spruce, Simply Recipes, Serious Eats, Byrdie, Brides, MyDomaine, Lifewire, TripSavvy, Liquor.com, and TreeHugger.
Please be aware of fraudulent recruiters offering opportunities at Dotdash. Note that any correspondence with a member of the Dotdash recruiting team will come from a @dotdash.com or a email@example.com account belonging to a Dotdash Recruiter. If you are in conversations for a job opportunity and wish to confirm its validity, please reach out directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dotdash embraces inclusivity and values our diverse community. We are committed to building a team based on qualifications, merit and business need. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!