Family and Community Engagement Content Editor at Common Sense Media
Family and Community Engagement Content Editor
Common Sense is the nation’s leading independent nonprofit organization devoted to helping kids and families thrive in a world of media and technology.
Every day, millions of families turn to Common Sense for trusted advice and unbiased ratings. We offer the largest library of independent age-based ratings and reviews for everything your kids want to watch, play, read, and learn. Our movie and TV ratings are available on Apple TV, Target.com, Xfinity, Vudu.com, and many other partner platforms, helping kids and families make smart media choices. Through our schools program, we provide educators with a curriculum that teaches the digital citizenship and literacy skills every student needs to succeed. We also work with policymakers, industry leaders, legislators, and a grassroots community of concerned parents and teachers to improve the media, tech, and education landscape for kids, families, and schools.
The family and community engagement content editor will use their expertise in family engagement to create high-quality written content — from short-form articles to family handouts for schools to text-message tips — that supports all families, with a focus on reaching Black, Latinx, and lower-income communities and a particular focus on Black communities. Other responsibilities may include managing content in a database and working with other departments to deliver family resources for a range of projects and initiatives. All work will be done through a child-development and diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) lens. We are committed to hiring team members from diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and lived experiences and strongly encourage BIPOC candidates to apply.
- LOCATION: Remote OK
- EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full-time (40 hours per week)
- REPORTS TO: Content director, family and community engagement
- TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: None initially; twice a year when it is safe to do so
- Become an expert in our research-backed advice on kids’ media use, producing content for families that aligns with Common Sense research, age-based child development guidelines, and our K12 Digital Citizenship Curriculum.
- Apply Common Sense style guide to all written materials with a special focus on inclusive language, empathy for diverse populations, and accessibility.
- Write original content in a variety of formats, such as short-form articles, Q&As, video scripts, text messages, tips, family activities, and conversation starters.
- Manage topic-focused content collections, updating resources and creating new pieces as needed.
- Manage content database to track content creation and updates.
- Work closely with existing family and community engagement team members to fulfill content partner deliverables.
- Use our proprietary content management system to publish resources.
- Stay on top of all family media trends and challenges (with a focus on Black, Latinx, and lower-income communities).
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, English, or related field.
- 3+ years’ experience in content production/journalism/online content creation or similar. Focus on families a plus.
- Excellent writing and editing skills, including copy-editing skills.
- Firsthand or lived experience with Black communities.
- Familiarity with media and pop culture trends.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work independently.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills.
- Ability to execute projects working in a self-directed way with priorities/deadlines that may shift quickly.
- Technical know-how, with experience using online content management systems and cloud-based software.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Spanish-language proficiency is a plus.
- You are inspired by Common Sense’s mission!
- The chance to work with talented, passionate professionals.
- A great health and welfare benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, and a matching 401(k).
- An organization that offers work/life balance.
- The opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of kids and families!
Common Sense values the diversity of its employees and is an equal opportunity employer. For more information on our values, please visit our statement on diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Common Sense will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. However, job offers are made on the condition that the applicant subsequently passes a criminal background check. If the background check indicates a prior criminal conviction, we will conduct an individualized assessment to determine whether the conviction should result in denial of employment.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!