Title: Part-time Essay Coach
Location: United States
WANTED: Grammar Snob with Big Heart
- Do you invariably find typos on restaurant menus, billboards, and in every novel you’ve ever read?
- Are you a natural storyteller with a strong sense of narrative?
- Do you want to do freelance work that really makes a difference?
Collegewise is looking for seasonal, part-time editors who can effectively and enthusiastically coach students through the college application essay process. This is a remote position. Ideal candidates will be able to commit 10-20 hours a week from June through November.
Who We Are
Collegewise is a college counseling company that guides high school students through the college admissions process. We bring sanity, perspective, and clarity to an often confusing and anxiety-filled time for families, ensuring that students have the resources and advice they need to confidently navigate their journey to college.
Since 1999, we’ve helped more than 12,000 “A” students, “C” students, and everyone in between apply and get accepted to schools sometimes famous, often not that they’re excited to attend. And we do it all with just the right mix of advice, encouragement, and occasional cheerleading to ensure their college admissions process goes smoothly and thoughtfully.
What We Do
To learn more about our inspiring work, check out this short video.
How We Work
To get a solid intro to our culture and the amazing people we work with, watch this short video.
What’s the Job?
As a part-time essay coach, you’ll work with a caseload of high school seniors via our online editing platform, coaching them through the essay-writing process for both personal statements and supplements.
In addition to identifying spelling, punctuation, and grammatical errors, you’ll provide thoughtful, specific feedback to encourage and inspire strong revisions. And through it all, you’ll bring a personal approach to the process (and lots of enthusiasm!).
Who We’re Looking For (You)
- You have a background in English, writing, or education (a B.A. in one of these subjects is required, though applicants with a degree in a different field who have significant editing experience will also be considered).
- You can wrangle a rogue apostrophe with the best of them and typos can’t get past your eagle eye, but your editing skills don’t stop there.
- You have a genuine interest in the stories students tell, and the ability to provide thoughtful, specific feedback utilizing a personal, conversational tone.
- You don’t believe that part-time hours equate with part-time effort. You’re ready to bring your heart to work every day, and to be recognized for your talent and expertise.
Applicants who successfully complete our proofreading assessment will be paid $25 per hour during a two-week provisional period. After that time, editors who are invited to stay on may receive an increase (up to $30 per hour) based on experience and skill level.
We’d like our part-time essay coaches to start in June and work through the end of November, but we do have some flexibility.
How to Apply
If your interest is piqued, please start by telling us more about yourself. You’re more interesting than a generic, “insert-name-of-company-here” letter. So please be yourself smart, thoughtful (maybe even funny). You might also consider checking out our five tips for job-seekers.
Then submit your information at the right. When you paste your “Why Collegewise?” answer into the text box, your formatting will hold up when we see it (but if it doesn’t, we’ll blame the text box, not you).
Thanks for reading our post. We’d love to hear from you, but if we don’t, we hope you find the perfect professional fit someplace else.