English Tutor for Spoken English
Location: Remote, Part-time
Magoosh is fixing a broken test prep industry. We started in 2009 with four co-founders and a few computers. Today, our team is growing fast and our products are used all over the world in more than 180 countries. Millions have studied with us, downloaded our apps, and watched our videos. And every day, we work with thousands of students to help them get the scores they need to get into the schools they want.
About the Job
We are constantly experimenting with different ways to level the educational playing field. One of our big bets this year is to develop a new product line to help adult learners speak English fluently. Many of our students have gone through years of formal English education with limited English speaking proficiency. Millions more face the same challenge.
We are hiring an English teacher to lay the groundwork of private English speaking lessons, train future teachers, and collaborate with product development.
Compensation is $40-$50/hour, depending on experience. This is a remote, contractor position. By the end of July 2019, we’ll decide if there is a long-term need for a full-time offer. You must be authorized to work in the US.
In this position, you will:
- Design curriculum for English speaking lessons for adults with pre- to upper-intermediate English proficiency
- Provide one-on-one English lessons to 15 students (between May 10th, 2019 and July 30th, 2019) using the curriculum/structure you designed
- Encourage students to succeed in their English learning goals, while having fun!
- Collaborate with the product lead on key product development decisions
- Have at least 3 years of English teaching experience for ESL/ELL students at a private or public school
- Have a track record of achieving outstanding teaching outcomes (e.g., positive student reviews, promotions within a school, etc.)
- Possess native level proficiency of the English language
- Have experience developing effective curriculum
- Have an entrepreneurial spirit that reflects an openness to change, a willingness to problem-solve, and an interest in developing new ideas & programs
- Hold a BA or BS
- Can work a minimum of 20 hours/week
Extra credit if you:
- Have taught adult learners in Japan, Korea, or Taiwan
- Have experience coaching and/or supporting teachers in a mentor or supervisory role
- Speak Japanese, Korean, or Chinese
- Taught online English classes in a marketplace
- Can accommodate students who need English lessons from 10pm – 10am, PST. This is most ideal for someone who lives in a different time zone or wouldn’t mind doing some night shifts.
Note: Don’t meet all the requirements for the position? That’s okay. We encourage you to still apply.