English Teacher at Slang
- PART TIME
We’re looking for talented individuals interested in joining a new and growing global company. At Slang, you’ll be an early team member of a well-funded startup spun out from MIT. We’re building a world-class team to revolutionize language learning with cutting-edge technology and beautiful design.
What we’re working on at Slang
Slang started at MIT as a research project on using AI and NLP to make learning a new language as efficient as possible. Our technology powers a highly adaptive e-learning platform that offers an unprecedented variety of specialized English courses and proficiency tests for career development in over 80 fields like Sales, Finance, Logistics, Medicine, and Law. We already have the largest professional English offering in the world.
What this role is about
If you’re interested in working with multiple companies from all across South America, we would love to tell you more about this opportunity. In this role, you’ll be working with different companies that have chosen us to take their professional English to a whole new level. Populations vary from beginner to advanced intermediate (Pre-A1 to B2,) and you’ll work with both teens and adults. As a complement to our digital product, we offer different types of sessions that aim to help users become more proficient and to develop the conversational skills needed to succeed at their workplaces. Our current client base is divided into four segments — universities, ESL schools, corporations, and government entities — and you’ll be working with all four.
Slang is a product-driven startup, which, to us, means that our products are at the center of our company vision. We’re aiming to build products that sell themselves, and we expect you to contribute to our vision with your experience and knowledge of language learning and by helping us better understand our users.
Technical skills and requirements
- 4+ years of experience in English teaching and lesson planning.
- English oral communication and writing skills (C1 certified with IELTS, TOEFL, or any other valid examination in the country).
- Bachelors degree in Modern languages or related fields or TESOL, TEFL, or similar certificates.
- 3-hour availability during the afternoons from Monday to Friday.
- Excellent discipline, focus, and attention to detail, especially when charged with working autonomously.
- Problem-solving and EdTech tools skills and knowledge.
- Empathy and the ability to form great interpersonal relationships with users and colleagues.
- A plus: Experience in educational material design (presentations, webinars, workshops, etc), virtual tools such as Zoom and Google Meet, and online teaching.
- A plus: Strong Spanish communication skills.
What Slang can offer you
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary and unique benefits. Most importantly, we offer the special experience of being part of a fast-moving and quickly growing international company within the entrepreneurial ecosystems of Boston and MIT.
Where we’re located
Our team is currently split between Boston, Ciudad de México, São Paulo, Bogotá and Medellín. We are recruiting great people in these locations and around the world. Our US headquarters is located in the Cambridge Innovation Center in the heart of downtown Boston, easily accessible by public transportation and alongside other innovative companies. Our Colombia office is located in the Rosales neighborhood of Bogotá and in the Ruta N Innovation district of Medellín. Our México City office is located in Montes Urales WeWork.