Engineering Manager – U.S. or Canada at Sensu
Engineering Manager (Remote / Canada or United States)
- Vancouver, BC V6B 5C6, Canada
About the Position
Sensu is the future-proof solution for multi-cloud monitoring at scale, empowering businesses to automate their monitoring workflows and gain deep visibility into their infrastructure, from Kubernetes to bare metal. Our customers include the likes of Box, Sony, Activision, Citi, and many more.
In the multi-cloud reality of today’s modern businesses, it’s more critical than ever that organizations maintain complete visibility and avoid expensive downtime. As an Engineering Manager at Sensu, you’ll play a key role in optimizing our engineering process and delivering our product to market.
This role will give you an opportunity to work one-on-one with the creator, co-founder, and CTO of Sensu to align, scope, and prioritize engineering work with product goals. As an Engineering Manager, you’ll be primarily responsible for the timely delivery of product releases, making technical implementation decisions, and mentoring individual members of our growing engineering team. Sensu operates as a fully distributed team, so you’ll work remotely from anywhere within the United States or Canada.
As an Engineering Manager at Sensu, you’ll be responsible for:
- Engineering productivity. As a product company, engineering productivity is critical to our growth and ongoing success. As such, the primary responsibility of an Engineering Manager is to help the Sensu engineering team be productive. You’ll work to develop practical procedures and promote a culture of performance via results-oriented engineering leadership.
- Technical leadership. You’ll lead a distributed team of 8+ engineers in the United States and Canada, helping them make informed decisions around technical trade-offs and product implementation. You’ll also provide fast, actionable feedback should challenges arise.
- Team growth. You’ll onboard, mentor, and provide one-on-one support to individual members of our growing engineering team. This will include taking the lead in recruiting, interviewing, and hiring new engineers as our team continues to grow.
Our ideal candidate will meet most of the following qualifications to be successful in this position. Please don’t disqualify yourself if you feel you’re missing some of the following requirements. Instead, feel free to let us know what other strengths in your background could be equally valuable!
- An excellent communicator.
- Experience reporting to company executives.
- Experience managing the scope of deliverables to ensure frequent release cycles.
- Experience balancing new development (accrual of technical debt) against ongoing maintenance (paying down technical debt).
- The ability to consistently develop practical procedures and complete tasks through to conclusion.
- Able to lead by listening and asking questions to find solutions through collaboration.
- Supportive of others and proven ability to provide practical knowledge, competence, and expertise. Confident when dealing with challenges and able to inspire others to come up with imaginative solutions to difficult problems.
- Adept at developing trust in people and fostering strong relationships.
- Able to advise and assist individuals while guiding the team as a whole.
- Have a thoughtful, transparent, and humane approach to work.
Here are some nice-to-haves we’d like to see:
- Experience designing, developing, and operating distributed systems.
- Experience with public cloud and cloud-native technologies in production environments.
- Experience with monitoring and observability tools, old and new (e.g., Nagios, Prometheus, Cloudwatch, Jaeger, etc.).
- Experience maintaining open source projects and interacting with open source user communities.
- Experience with Ruby and Golang.
- Experience with the various tools and processes that we rely on at Sensu, including OKRs, Trello, GitHub, ZenHub, and CI tools (CircleCI, TravisCI, GitHub Actions, etc.).
- A healthy appreciation of when not to join industry debates on social media 🙂
- Competitive and transparent salary, $180,000 CAD per year (or $150,000 USD).
- Equity! Every member of Team Sensu receives equity in Sensu, Inc. (in the form of common stock options).
- Work from anywhere in the United States or Canada! We are a distributed team with flexible working hours and no central office location.
- 4-week minimum vacation policy, only used for full days off (20 days of PTO per year). Employees with unused vacation at the end of the year will have their access to company resources disabled until the new year (e.g. email, Slack, GitHub, etc), corresponding to their balance of unused PTO! If you manage to exhaust your PTO, additional PTO will be granted depending on impact to team objectives.
- Company paid holidays, based on the US Federal holiday schedule of 10 days per year (may be exchanged for alternate dates, e.g. personal days).
- Company provided health care for employees located in the United States (includes medical, dental, and vision coverage). Company pays 100% of premiums for employee, spouse, and dependent children.
- Company paid disability insurance (overlapping short-term and long-term coverage).
- Company paid life insurance policy, $100K guaranteed (no medical exam required).
- Monthly phone & internet allowance ($150/mo).
- Equipment allowance! We provide a $5,000 allowance for new employees, with a $1000 refresh every 12-months (go ahead, get that new iPhone!), and a $4,000 every 18 months for updating your laptop and other equipment.
Professional Development Opportunities
At Sensu, professional development is not only encouraged – it is expected. Individual career growth opportunities abound and are paid for as an employee benefit (up to $5,000 per employee per year). Looking to level up some technical ability, advance your leadership skills, or continue some education? Whether you’re beginning your career or mastering your craft, Sensu will help you get to the next level of you.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Sensu does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other reason prohibited by law (or human decency) in provision of employment opportunities and benefits.
Furthermore, we believe that homogeneous teams are not only boring, but also disadvantaged due to a lack of diversity (of vantage points, etc).
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!