Engineering Manager at Seesaw Learning
- SAN FRANCISCO, CA OR OPEN TO REMOTE IN THE US
Our Growth Mindset (The Mission):
- Think back on your time in school and a project or experience that got you fired up, curious, and motivated to try your best.
- Can you remember one? If you’re like us, there are some projects we remember decades later — those times when we were so engaged in what we were doing that we couldn’t help but learn.
- Seesaw is a learning platform that brings educators, students and families together to deepen student learning.
- Teachers design and facilitate powerful learning experiences, students create, reflect, collaborate and make their learning visible, and families actively support and celebrate student learning.
- Seesaw is used by millions of K-12 students in over half the schools in the U.S.
The Curriculum (Your Role):
- We’re looking for a hands-on Engineering Manager – initially to work on our platform team.
- The Platform Team is responsible for the shared backend infrastructure that powers all of our products and has a mandate to make sure that our services are reliable, efficient and our internal teams have the systems and tools to build products quickly.
Your Classmates (The Team):
- You’ll primarily be working with teammates on our platform team, but given that team is at the center of all engineering at Seesaw, you’ll work closely with all other engineers, PMs, and Designers on our broader product and engineering team.
Subject Matter (Your Responsibilities):
- Manage our current platform team of 3 engineers, and work with recruiting to double the size of this team in the next 12 months.
- Help lead overall execution of the team from a people and project management perspective, making sure the right engineers are working on the right projects at the right time.
- Advise on technical architecture and approaches to solving problems as a senior technical contributor.
- Be willing to roll up your sleeves and write code as the team is still small and growing.
- Help coach and mentor engineers on the team so that they are learning and developing in ways that are important to them and the company.
- Coordinate with other engineering managers on people best practices around recruiting, onboarding, coaching, and performance.
Prerequisites (The Requirements):
- Substantial (5+) experience designing, building, and maintaining back-end infrastructure at consumer scale (Ms of users).
- 2+ years prior people management experience.
- Strong Computer Science fundamentals – a CS degree or equivalent experience.
- Prior experience with AWS cloud infrastructure services is a large plus.
A little about us:
- We are well funded and have an experienced team. Work with the creators & leads of Google Calendar, Picasa, Maps, Facebook Platform, and Twitter.
- We care about building a diverse and inclusive team to better advocate for the needs of our incredibly diverse K-12 users.
- We prioritize work-life balance and actually walk the walk — we care a lot about our work, but care more about our friends and family. We encourage everyone to work at a sustainable pace and have an unlimited vacation policy that people actually use.
- We offer competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits including full medical, dental, and vision coverage, 401(k) with company match, paid parental leave, flexible vacation policy, free lunch, wellness stipend, and charitable donation match.
Seesaw provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religious creed, color, sex, sex stereotype, gender, gender identity/gender expression/transgender, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information/characteristics, marital status/registered domestic partner status, age, sexual orientation, or military or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, Seesaw complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!