Engineering Manager at mmhmm inc.
Engineering Manager, mmhmm – Remote
mmhmm is a video communication company helping people instantly produce live and recorded video presentations that are entertaining to watch and easy to make. Founded in 2020, we believe being better at video is a crucial skill for any successful modern business. As a fully distributed, global team ourselves, we’re on a mission to empower people who work on video (that is, nearly everyone) to create more sustainable and joyful ways to work, teach, and collaborate. Our growing team includes founding members of Evernote, and we’re backed by Sequoia Capital, the SoftBank Vision Fund and other leading investors. mmhmm is part of All Turtles, a studio sharing resources to help multiple brands build meaningful products people love.
As an Engineering Manager for mmhmm, you’ll lead a cross-functional team of engineers and designers creating the next generation of features for our products. You’ll build and mentor the team, work with product management to develop the product roadmap, and lead the execution process. While you won’t be expected to be a significant contributor to the codebase, you have the experience and knowledge to participate in deep technical discussions and aren’t afraid to get hands-on when the team needs you.
You’re the right person for this job if you love to create beautifully crafted apps and excel at helping both individual engineers and product development teams achieve their full potential.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Hiring new team members and mentoring team members for their growth and success.
- Fostering a collaborative team culture and development process.
- Working with product management to plan product releases, and leading the cross-functional team of developers, designers and QA to execute and deliver on projects.
- Balancing team priorities around new features, bug fixes and continuous improvements in quality and performance.
- Working with customer service and other stakeholders to triage bugs and other user-facing issues, and generally acting as a champion for the user in the development process.
- Keeping the team connected to the broader product development organization and the context of company-wide goals.
Ideally, you have:
- Deep experience working on consumer-facing application development.
- Experience leading cross-functional teams of designers, engineers and QA engineers.
- Experience leading a fully distributed team.
- A track record of delivering on ambitious goals on aggressive timelines.
- Worked in a startup environment. You’re comfortable with ambiguity and change.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, with an aptitude for conveying clear thoughts and ideas.
This is a full-time, permanent position reporting to the VP of Engineering. This role can be based in any location. Since our fully distributed team works across US time zones, applicants with significant US time zone overlap are preferred. We offer comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance to our employees and their dependents, as well as a suite of optional benefits and perks programs including parental leave and flexible PTO.