Engineering Manager at Prisma.io
Engineering Manager: Prisma Data Platform
at Prisma Data
At Prisma, we are building the data layer for modern applications. If you are fascinated by the leading-edge architecture and technology used in today’s data-intensive, highly scalable software systems, with distributed graph data on a massive scale, but you want the energy, challenges, and freedom that come with working in a small startup, then a job at Prisma might be for you.
With funding from top-tier investors Amplify Partners and Kleiner Perkins, we are a small distributed team working on making the advanced data infrastructure developed at large tech companies accessible to all application developers around the world. Our hard work is paying off, with adoption and implementation of Prisma by some of the most successful and interesting companies out there today, and the fun is just beginning!
We are focused on bottom-up adoption, and most of our software is open-source. We have a vibrant community on Slack and Github – with over 55,000 members on Slack, over 33,000 Github Stars and more than 250,000 developers using our OSS tools.
What will you do at Prisma?
We are in search of an Engineering Manager to guide a talented team of engineers in the development of our customer facing console, Prisma Data Platform. This is mission control for our commercial products and crucial to simplifying the onboarding workflow to each product. This is not simply a set of configurations, it is how customers are thoughtfully & seamlessly guided through each product. As the Engineering Manager for the team, you will work closely with engineers & Product to figure out how to build out our Prisma Data Platform as we ambitiously seek to launch a suite of products to our customers.
Our commercial ambitions hinges upon our commitment to providing an exceptional developer experience across all our products, while harmoniously introducing new features and other quality enhancements. Your charter will be to lead our Platform Team, give them structure and have them execute flawlessly on the defined product roadmap. We anticipate you to be responsible for:
- People: Empower your engineering team to deliver a high level of technical quality and impact and ensure that the members of your team have what they need to do their best work.This includes giving constructive feedback, creating opportunities for them to learn, grow and be challenged, clarity on why their work matters and how it connects to our company-wide KPIs. We believe that starting with the people is the way to build effective and healthy teams.
- Process: Implement and improve our development processes and technical practices. We’re sticklers for optimization, if it can be done better, we strive to find that method. You will lead engineering team meetings to plan and prioritize work, run retrospectives to identify improvements, define policies to improve communication, collaboration, and quality.
- Delivery: Success for your team means predictable delivery of valuable high quality software at a sustainable pace. You will work closely with one of our Product Managers to balance product initiatives, agree on a roadmap and deliver technical improvements.
What does the ideal candidate look like?
We believe the right candidate for this position will meet quite a few of the criteria below. If you don’t fit the description perfectly, we’d still love to hear from you. We expect you to learn some of these on the job:
- A proven and demonstrable track record for leading software engineering teams.
- Previous experience as a software engineer in a team environment.
- Applied knowledge of agile project and team management.
- High standards for quality, balanced with pragmatism and a sense of purpose.
- Focused on helping your team understand the why.
- You can communicate fluently in English and can express your thoughts clearly in writing.
- You enjoy working closely with your peers and proactively seek to help others.
- You seek feedback early and often and are not afraid to ask for help.
- You are structured in your thought process, plan well and lead by example.
- Knowledge of databases (both SQL and NoSQL).
- Experience with our technology stack: TypeScript
What’s it like to work at Prisma?
You’re likely to be a great fit for the team if you …
- … have an ownership mindset. As part of a young startup, you’ll have an outsize impact on decisions and the way things are executed.
- … stay nimble. As a growing startup, the team and strategy evolves quickly. Be ready to re-calibrate often and stay flexible.
- … be kind and collaborative. Come in ready to share your ideas and listen to feedback.
What’s in it for you?
- Opportunity for large global impact working on the beginnings of our commercial offering and delivering a phenomenal developer experience to users.
- We provide a Competitive Base Salary in line with industry standards for similar positions.
- As an early-stage startup we also provide competitive Stock-Option Grants.
- 24 Days paid vacation per year.
- 4 Days paid Mental Health Days per year.
- 6 Weeks fully paid Sabbatical Leave after 3 years.
- 20 Weeks fully paid Parental Leave.
- [US] Health, Dental, Vision + 401k Matching
- Generous Tech Budget to make sure you have all the hardware that you need.
- Ergonomic Chair subsidy
- Access to your local co-working space if you prefer to work from an external location to your home.
We are a remote-first organisation with an office based in Berlin, Germany. Whether you would like to work remotely, or from the office in Berlin is up to you! We are open to discussing relocation assistance if you would like to join us in Berlin.
To ensure effective collaboration we can currently only accept candidates within the timezone GMT -5 to GMT +3.
Note on COVID-19: The above opportunity to move to Berlin is temporarily suspended until we believe that travel is safe again.
What is the process like?
Our recruitment process roughly follows the structure below:
- Introductory call with the Senior Engineering Manager
- Interview with members of our technical team (Product Manager, Engineering Managers, Engineers)
- Take Home Assignment paired with a panel presentation.
- Final Interview with a member of our Leadership Team.
What do I do now?
If this sounds like an interesting opportunity, please apply via our website, and include your LinkedIn profile (or Resume), and a cover letter telling us more about your interest in Prisma and software.
We will generally be in touch within 7 business days to let you know the outcome of your application.
Prisma is an equal opportunity employer. We value and celebrate diversity and do not discriminate against any applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We are committed to creating a fair and inclusive workplace where all individuals have the opportunity to contribute their skills and talents. Applicants from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.