Editorial Audience Director at Harvard Business Publishing
Editorial Audience Director
- Department: HBR Group
- Employment Type: Full Time
- Location: Remote – US Northeast
- Job Number:JO-2103-1932
HBR is looking for an Editorial Audience Director to help us develop new audiences and engage our existing ones across platforms, including print, digital, audio, and video. Our audiences are growing everywhere, our digital traffic is hitting new highs, and we’re reaching 25 million social followers across platforms.
We’re looking for someone with the right mix of editorial sensibility, platform savvy, and digital media expertise to lead our editorial efforts across social media, audience/subscriber engagement, email newsletters, and development of innovative virtual and in-person events. The right person for this role will have a background in strategic editorial thinking, data analysis, platform insights, and experimentation to reach new audiences and engage the most loyal HBR superfans. This is a new position, and a successful candidate will have a demonstrated history of seizing opportunities to catalyze change and of building relationships across teams.
- Develop, oversee, and track a unified editorial strategy for growing and engaging audiences across platforms, including how we leverage new and archive content on search and mature social channels like LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter, as well as emerging platforms.
- Regularly analyze traffic, follower, and subscriber data to develop a deep understanding of how our audience reaches us and who they are, from search to social to email. This work will help the editorial team understand our audience better and make smart decisions on how to better deliver the content and topics they need most and convert causal visitors to subscribers.
- Ensure we’re taking an inclusive approach, including proactively reaching out to audiences that have been historically underserved.
- Develop internal relationships that will help bridge editorial and other departments, including analytics, communications, and marketing. Develop external relationships with platforms and other new partners.
- Devise new editorial strategies for engaging subscribers and frequent visitors; building community; and experimenting with how our audience learns from and connects with each other.
- Create an editorial SEO strategy, working with editors and analytics colleagues to better position new and archive articles for search.
- Oversee our newsletter program, including developing more strategies for how we can better use that channel to grow new audiences and engage and delight loyal readers.
- Contribute to live events, including setting goals, advising on resources, assisting with live moderation, and contributing to content programming.
- Manage and develop editorial and audience talent on the team and advise on the resources necessary to maintain growth.
- Champion audience engagement experimentation with an eye toward how people work, how they learn and build skills from our content, and how we can help them do their jobs better.
- Manage special editorial projects as assigned.
- At least 10 years of experience developing audience strategy and managing organic editorial activity on social media channels. The right candidate will have a demonstrated understanding of how audience distribution channels work and how to experiment with them strategically.
- Demonstrated understanding of how to listen and respond to audience feedback from a variety of sources and channels.
- A proven ability to work across different teams and manage the expectations of several stakeholders.
- Experience analyzing web traffic and other metrics and making recommendations or adjustments to maintain growth.
- Experience writing social copy and a point of view on what makes a good social post.
- Experience with SEO strategy and analyzing search trends.
- Experience building relationships with outside partners and platforms.
- Experience managing direct reports and developing talent.
- Experience on a subscription-based media website a plus.
- Someone who enjoys collaborating with a strong and innovative team and is enthusiastic about the challenge of getting quality content to more people.
- A good colleague who wants to make HBR both a great place to publish and a great place to work. This is a great opportunity for someone who is passionate about the future of media and enjoys using analytics to do their work better.
Note: we will consider remote applicants within the United States willing to work Eastern Standard Time hours.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!