The Fourth Estate is looking for a reliable Editorial Assistant with fine attention to detail, a strong work ethic, a love for news and current events, and a fondness for data and research.
The Editorial Assistant (EA) provides important assistance with news details in the Editorial Department by performing functions that will include, but not limited to, the following:
- monitoring and curating news and bulletins,
- compiling news planners and agendas,
- conduct research as needed,
- basic news-writing skills,
- compiling biographies,
- assisting staff with research, and other duties as assigned
Who we are
- We are an international, non-partisan, human rights, membership organization dedicated to an engaged and informed public, well equipped with quality information needed to make informed decisions by a strong free press.
- The organization’s initiatives include: advocacy, publicity efforts, investments, and strategic litigation strategies. Our name references a segment of society that wields an indirect but significant influence on society even though it is not a formally recognized part of the political system.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
- This is a full-time position. Some flexibility in hours is allowed, but the employee must be available during “core” work hours between 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EST, at least 25 hours a week. Occasional evenings and weekend may be required as job duties demand.
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- This job operates virtually. This role requires access and use of a computer, telephone, and broadband internet.
- No travel is expected for this position.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- High school diploma or GED or comparable experience
- Native level mastery of written and spoken English
- Proofreading experience.
- Broad knowledge of current news and events, and trending topics
- Comfortable on all social media platforms
- Comfortable learning new technology.
- Hourly pay
- Flexible schedule
This position reports to our Washington, DC office, however remote applicants anywhere in the world are encouraged. Ability to travel internationally and domestically is preferred.
The Fourth Estate provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.