Editor, Business – Paid Product Launch at Axios
Editor, Business (Paid Product Launch)
Quick take: Axios is a growth-stage startup dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning news content in an audience-first format. We are hiring an editor to help launch a paid subscription news product to expand our Pro Rata coverage of deals and dealmakers — specifically into three new verticals focused on fintech, health tech, and consumer retail.
Why it matters: In just four years, Axios has built a newsroom of more than 110 talented journalists committed to providing our readers the most trustworthy information in the most efficient way possible. Reporting to our managing editor for business-coverage, the Editor will play a critical role in creating a brand new editorial business for Axios with a sharp eye on scoops and big picture trend stories, while managing as many as 7 reporters and editors responsible for agenda-setting newsletters.
Go deeper: In this role, you will make an impact on Axios through the following responsibilities:
- Serve as player/coach, navigating between supporting the needs of journalists and producing content to build subscription deals and dealmaker news product
- Edit newsletters and stories and embody a culture of journalistic best practices
- Contribute to news products by writing and breaking relevant news stories
- Coordinate coverage with the broader business team and Axios newsroom
- Help determine how to strike the right balance between stories and scoops in our free products and what should stay behind the paywall
The details: Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial spirit and passion for Axios’ mission and have the following skills:
- A commitment to building and nurturing a diverse and inclusive environment
- A belief in Smart Brevity as the core writing style of Axios
- Strong management skills to oversee and support a team of journalists
- Editing experience in a fast-paced news environment
- Demonstrated experience conceptualizing big ideas and seeing them through.
- Strong writing and editing skills for online and newsletters
- Experience working across teams to produce quality content
- Demonstrated knowledge of digital and social media landscape
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to assign and manage multiple stories at once
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- Company equity
- Commuter and cell phone benefit
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- Annual Learning and Development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Tele-mental health services
- OneMedical membership, including telehealth services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund”, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Weekly company-sponsored exercise and meditation classes
- Virtual company-sponsored social events
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!