Editor at Northstar Travel Group
Location: Home Based
Job Category: Editorial
Travel Weekly seeks a freelance/independent contractor editor with a passion for accuracy and detail work to manage data gathering for Power List, our annual ranking of the top U.S. travel agencies by sales volume. The project runs for about four months, from late February through mid-June, with March and April requiring the most intensive work. The contributing editor selected for the project will be responsible for collecting agency data, often interacting with qualifying agencies, each of which will have had travel sales of $100 million or more in 2019. This is one of Travel Weekly’s premier annual projects.
- Monitoring returned questionnaires for accuracy and compliance with qualifying rules, then inputting the data into a master list.
- Keeping up with agency contacts to ensure that responding agencies meet all deadlines.
- Editing and fact-checking the list.
- Writing an introduction and brief feature profiles of three companies that are either new to the list or have made interesting or unusual business moves in the previous year.
We seek an editor who:
- Is a self-starter who can work independently and without continuous, direct supervision.
- Is familiar with the travel industry.
- Is relentless when chasing down CEOs and other top executives and persuading them to complete questionnaires.
- Has a sharp eye for detail for spotting discrepancies in the submitted content.
- Is comfortable following up aggressively with Power List candidates to acquire more information or clarification about their agency’s business.
- Is able to read a balance sheet and accurately piece together information about those few publicly held agencies that don’t return our questionnaire.
- Is accurate and proficient with AP grammar and style in order to achieve stylistic consistency with 50-plus entries.
- Is a stickler for meeting deadlines and is willing to work closely with Travel Weekly editors on fact-checking.
- Is easily reachable by phone, texts and/or instant messaging during weekday work hours.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!