Editor at My Subscription Addiction
TYPE: PART TIME
MIN. EXPERIENCE: ENTRY LEVEL
Job Description – Editor
My Subscription Addiction (MSA) is looking for a part-time editor to join our freelance team in New York, NY and/or remotely.
What is MSA?
Our vision for MSA is to power the subscription economy for people and brands. We see a large opportunity to build the leading destination for people to discover, research, compare and save on the leading subscription services. Think TripAdvisor or Yelp for the subscription economy.
Today, My Subscription Addiction is the largest review site for subscription services with 3M+ visits/month, thousands of brands and tens of thousands of pieces of original content.
The site was recently acquired and we are rebuilding the team to launch MSA 2.0. We brought in talent from Amazon, McKinsey, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, The Daily Show, Elon Musk’s THUD, G2, The Infatuation, and more. We are building our dream team for 2.0.
What is MSA 2.0?
MSA 2.0 is about taking a successful content site and expanding it into the destination for readers to learn about brands and subscriptions that will help them live a better life. We want to serve as the gatekeeper for customers’ trust, a destination for brands to be thoughtfully discovered, and a content meets marketplace platform that builds upon our incredible community. Our intention is to be data/SEO driven while remaining committed to creativity and voice in our writing and presence online.
Why does this matter?
Would you ever go to a restaurant without looking on Yelp, Resy, or The Infatuation? Would you accept a job without looking on Glassdoor or LinkedIn? Then why do you spend money on a brand or product based on one ad you find on Instagram? Right, because there’s no single resource out there that lets you learn about the brand from experts, from existing customers, and from the brand itself. Instead it’s quite the opposite.
The D2C model is growing across all categories through high-growth brands like Stitch Fix, FabFitFun, The Farmer’s Dog, Trade Coffee, and KiwiCo — 30K new brands are launched each year on Shopify. New brands are born every day and yet there are limited destinations for discovery — Facebook, Google, Instagram, and word of mouth. We are committed to bringing back choice for customers and a next generation marketplace for next generation brands. We are excited about what’s next for MSA 2.0, and we’re inviting you to help us solve this problem.
What’s the role?
As an editor, you are the voice of our site. You love products and subscriptions, especially those in the realm of beauty, fashion, food, and personal care. You can’t stop talking about your favorites, and you love interacting with readers! You are as passionate as our readership, and have a general knowledge of DTC brands.
You seek out information with an underlying curiosity for SEO, consumer behavior, and the MSA community. You bring excitement, genuine curiosity, and a product-testing mentality. You think big and optimize content based on channel. You distill dense information into singular, important ideas that are easily digestible for the MSA audience.
Your work will include all aspects of writing and editing optimized review and list content. You will write about brands you love, and you will also write critically and tactfully about products that are new to you. You will carefully edit other contributors’ pieces with the MSA brand, tone, and voice in mind. You are a true owner and collaborator.
Key Responsibilities for this role…
- Edit other contributors’ content with a precise eye and fast turnaround
- Optimize and update existing articles
- Demonstrate creative and thoughtful leadership and keep ahead of trends, providing proactive inspiration and recommendations
- Demonstrate brand and SEO research
- Critically digest content from the lens of the reader and consumer
- Collaborate with the Managing Editor and internal teams in a supportive capacity
- Communicate with the team via Slack, email, and in our project management software
- Help champion the company’s brand identity, tone, and voice
Your skills, background, and expertise include…
- 2+ years of experience in SEO, content and/or review writing, blogging or marketing copywriting for apparel, lifestyle, beauty, food, or brands
- Highly collaborative – able to build strong relationships with internal teams and external brands with a positive attitude and enthusiastic mindset
- Ability to successfully manage multiple projects/deadlines simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication with a strong attention to detail
- Experience working in WordPress is essential
- Experience working with Google Docs and project management software (e.g. Asana, Airtable) is strongly preferred
All candidates who advance in the interview process will be asked to submit a review writing sample.