Director of Special Events at Shriners Hospitals for Children
Title: Director of Special Events
Location: United States
Shriners Children’s is a family that respects, supports, and values each other. We are engaged in providing excellence in patient care, embracing multi-disciplinary education, and research with global impact. We foster a learning environment that values evidenced based practice, experience, innovation, and critical thinking. Our compassion, integrity, accountability, and resilience defines us as leaders in pediatric specialty care for our children and their families.
Shriners Children’s is the premier pediatric burn, orthopaedic, spinal cord injury, cleft lip and palate, and pediatric subspecialties medical center. We have an opportunity for a remote Director of Special Events reporting into our Headquarters location. If you enjoy strategizing, planning and implementing events in order to drive donor engagement, this position may be just for you.
The Director of Special Events is part of the Development Operations team and is responsible for implementing a comprehensive event fundraising strategy that includes donor cultivation events, relationship building and stewardship events internal organizational events, and DRTV production support. The Director will create new events, in consultation with Philanthropy and Marketing Leadership, as well as direct current national, regional and local events from a fundraising perspective to increase donor engagement and giving to Shriners Children’s.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive fundraising event strategry including organization-sponsored national, regional and local events (40%)
- Lead planning and execution of all internal staff eents and other fundraising events with fraternal participation (30%)
- Lead all external and internal event-related meetings, ensuring proper communication with stafff regarding event responsibilties and follow-up. Prepare budgets, progress reports, event completion reports for Development and Marketing Leadership (10%)
- Develop and maintain high professional standards and procedures for event production (10%)
- Provide DRTV production support and guidance when necessary to Media Engagement Team (10%)
The ideal candidate will have 7 years of experience planning large-scale events such as runs and walks, golf and other sporting tournaments and galas using an external committee structure of nonprofit leadership and caring volunteers. Important attributes include outstanding skills in project/event organization and interpersonal communication with a proven record of working effectively and efficiently with organizational leadership, internal departments and event vendor partners. Organizational skills, creative problem solving and comfort with managing multiple timelines and changing situations is highly desired. This position will have significant impact on how events, from a fundraising perspective, are designed, coordinated and executed to best combine donor cultivation and stewardship activities into all events. BA/BS in Marketing, Communications, NonProfit Management or similiar degree required. The position requires the ability to work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends, and must be able to travel 7-14 days at a time on a quarterly basis.