Director of Public Relations at Muck Rack
Director of Public Relations
Remote USA or Canada
Muck Rack is the leading SaaS platform for public relations and communications professionals. Our mission is to make PR pros more successful by providing them with technology to find journalists to pitch, monitor media, quantify their impact and work more efficiently with their teams.
Self-funded, globally distributed, and growing quickly, Crain’s named Muck Rack one of the best places to work in 2019, 2020, and 2021! We value resilience, transparency, ownership, and customer devotion and infuse these values into everything we do.
We’re looking for a Director of Public Relations to elevate Muck Rack’s brand and boost positive awareness among our key audiences particularly PR pros, journalists, executives who oversee PR, and future talent.
This is a unique opportunity for a PR expert to help shape the future of the public relations industry. Reporting to the VP of Marketing, you will lead and execute strategies that increase the visibility of Muck Rack’s brand, company and product.
You might be a good fit for this position if you have a consistent track record of helping tech companies craft their stories, pitching and securing top business and technology press and taking a data-driven approach to understanding and managing earned media.
What you’ll do:
- Develop Muck Rack’s strategy for media and influencer relations, cultivating and nurturing relationships with key journalists and influencers
- Identify, pitch and place Muck Rack-related stories in top business, media, technology outlets across print, broadcast and online media
- Follow news and trends affecting Muck Rack’s key audiences, seizing opportunities to amplify our brand
- Write press releases, bylines, and other media communications
- Manage press opportunities and media inquiries
- Track key metrics and coverage to understand the success and impact of PR, including using Muck Rack’s PR software to report on key activities and outcomes
- Define and document Muck Rack’s company messaging and story, ensuring consistent messaging and positioning with internal and external stakeholders
- Identify relevant speaking opportunities, awards and other opportunities to spread awareness of Muck Rack to relevant audiences
- Advise and coach Muck Rack’s leadership team on internal communications, ensuring polished, clear and consistent delivery
If the details below describe you, you could be a great fit for this role:
- 8+ years public relations experience, with at least 3 years working in-house for a technology company
- Proven track record of developing and executing communications that drive brand awareness and achieve business objectives
- Journalist mentality, with a passion for media relations and an understanding of what’s press-worthy
- Exceptional storyteller and talented writer, with a knack for making complex ideas easy to understand
- Extremely detail-oriented, organized, and reliable, with top-notch time management skills
- Data-driven, with experience applying data to measure results and inform strategy
- Collaborative, with the ability to interact across the organization and with external media partners
- Tech-savvy and familiar with our tools/systems, including Muck Rack (or similar), Google Suite, and Slack
- Pre-existing relationships with reporters in the business and technology sectors is a big plus
- 2+ years people management experience preferred
Benefits of Working at Muck Rack
- Fully distributed team, with work-from-home benefits and monthly co-working stipend
- Competitive salaries, company-wide bonus plan, and equity
- Generous off-the-grid PTO, including paid parental leave, paid sick/mental health days, learning days, summer Fridays, and more
- Health, dental and vision insurance (100% paid by employer for individuals; 70% paid by employer for families)
- 401(k) plan with employer contributions
- Access to OneMedical, 24/7 Virtual Care, an Employee Assistance Program, and a Flexible Spending Account
- Discounted gym & bike memberships and free Headspace account
- Unlimited subscription to Learning & Development platforms
- Virtual & in-person team bonding opportunities including free lunches, activities, & events
- Inclusive culture that listens to and welcomes diverse perspectives
- Self funded means we have the freedom to build forward-thinking products and put our customers first
We deliberately encourage individuals from all backgrounds, including race, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability status, and from all parts of the United States and Canada to apply for positions. We are an equal opportunity employer and we’re committed to a fair and consistent interview process and employer experience.
NOTE: Today, we can not hire employees in Arkansas, California, Colorado, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Carolina, Wisconsin, or Wyoming.