Director of Legal at Standard Cognition
Director of Legal
- Location: Remote – US
- Type: Full time
- Department: Strategy
At Standard Cognition, we’re revolutionizing the way the world shops. By replacing cash registers with computer vision-powered checkout, we’re creating a frictionless experience for shoppers. Since launching in 2017, Standard has contracts with multiple global retailers and is in the process of deploying our Standard Checkout solution across thousands of stores globally. We’re backed by some of Silicon Valley’s leading investors including Softbank, CRV, Initialized, EQT, Draper Associates and YCombinator. We just announced our series C in February 2021!
As our first legal hire, the Director of Legal will help shape the legal, product, and policy strategies for the fast developing autonomous checkout industry and the trajectory of Standard. The Director of Legal will be responsible for building out the legal department, setting legal strategy, partnering with cross functional teams across the company to execute key strategic deals and relationships, and serving as a senior advisor to the management team. Your remit will span across product, regulatory, commercial, government affairs, privacy, corporate, IP, employment, policy, and compliance. More importantly, we’re looking for a leader and business partner who will have input and influence across the company.
This is a remote full time role and in the United States
What you’ll do here:
- Oversee and develop Standard’s legal strategy for a wide variety of product, corporate, regulatory, privacy and commercial opportunities.
- Advise our leadership, product, commercial and other teams and help us understand when to take risks, how to mitigate them, and when to avoid them.
- Lead and scale the corporate function including fundraising, M&A, and corporate governance. Directly manage the work of our outside counsel partners
- Interface with our key stakeholders including customers, partners, and regulators to advise on regulatory and privacy-related issues.
- Oversee the compliance team and manage our policy, privacy and regulatory relationships.
- Wear many hats and roll up your sleeves. As the company’s first legal hire, you must feel comfortable with ambiguity and building out the legal and compliance functions in addition to enthusiastically embracing the mundane, such as contract drafting and review.
- Initiating, monitoring and maintaining systems and policies necessary to safeguard the physical, financial and human capital of the organization, providers, and customers.
Who you are:
- Passionate individual who’s passionate about the intersection of frontier technology and retail
- Relevant legal experience at an established law firm and/or registered in house legal counsel.
- Experience working with, and advising senior leadership including C-Suite and board interaction
- Organized, detail-oriented, resourceful, and flexible in navigating cross-functional teams
- Proven experience building and leading teams in high-growth environments.
- Experience establishing policies and risk governance frameworks and balancing risk and commercial objectives in a collaborative way.
- A strong track record of positive outcomes for those you have hired and managed in the past.
- Excellent communication and project management skills, and the ability to work under tight deadlines.
- You are in good standing with the California Bar
Only meet some of these traits or experiences? We’d still love to hear from you!
Why you might want to work with us:
- We take care of you and your family with health, vision, and dental insurance.
- You will have the option to contribute to a 401k.
- You’re excited to work on a product that will impact almost any consumer, almost anywhere.
- Standard is a remote first company. We trust you to get your job done in the location that works best for you.
- We dress casually. Some of us wear slippers in the office. In current work from home standings, we’re super comfy.
- We believe in a culture of learning, and want to keep building our skills, experiences, and capabilities.
- We offer flexible work schedules. We trust our team to know how they will do their best work.
- We’re family friendly. We want our teammates to focus on what they need to when they need to.
- We offer very competitive compensation, including equity in Standard, to each one of our employees.
Standard provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce and welcome people from all backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and abilities.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!