Director of Law & Policy
Location: United States
Department: Law & Policy
Type: Full Time
Min. Experience: Senior Manager/Supervisor
The Voting Rights Lab is searching for a Director of Law and Policy to manage our legislative and policy work across the country. The Director of Law and Policy is a member of the leadership team at the Voting Rights Lab and will develop and manage our Law & Policy Department and staff.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Identify and develop innovative policy solutions
- Design implementation strategies and ensure our legislative successes translate into real world change
- Taking the political and cultural contexts around voting rights, voting access and voter suppression into account, make strategic recommendations on policy positions, prioritization and positioning to the organization
- Draft legislation
- Analyze legislation as it is introduced and draft amendments to improve it
- Monitor election policy in all 50 states and keep our Bill Tracker up to date with legislation and developments
- Develop and implement an early warning system designed to detect, monitor, and address voter suppression efforts in real time
- Develop the issue expertise to manage our overall voting rights policy portfolio
- Become fluent in available research and data on voting rights issues
- Cultivate relationships with experts on voting policy
- Manage a growing team of consultants and full time staff to achieve these goals as our organization grows
What we’re looking for in you:
- A minimum of 7-10 years of experience in law and policy related work, law degree preferred
- A keen understanding of how to draft and analyze legislation
- A combination of legal expertise and strategic acumen
- Ability to draft, frame and describe legislation in a way that appeals to diverse interests
- High attention to detail and facility with legal language
- An ability to work independently and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Proven experience in project management including overseeing staff, budgets, internal processes, and overall project plans
- Ability to analyze information, formulate plans, and convey them in writing and through oral communication
- Experience working with diverse communities and committed to acting on the belief that racial equity and social justice are critical components to our work
Details: The Voting Rights Lab is a virtual organization. Candidates can be based anywhere in the United States and will work from a home office. You will report to the Executive Director. This could be a full-time salaried position or a contract position.
Salary and benefits: The annual salary range for the full-time position is $125,000 to $150,000 depending on experience. We also offer health benefits including medical, vision and dental coverage, a retirement plan, 25 days paid time off annually, and as well as paid holidays including Dec 24 to Jan 1. We offer ongoing training opportunities and a fast-paced, dynamic, and collaborative work environment.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: At the Voting Rights Lab we welcome and value diversity in our workforce and strive to create an inclusive culture and equitable workplace. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, educational attainment, disability, socioeconomic status, veteran status, and record of arrest or conviction. Applicants are not expected to provide any past or current compensation information during any phase of the interview process.