Director of Finance and Administration at Zero Abuse Project
Location: US Locations: 100% Remote
The Finance and Administration Director is responsible for the overall operations and administration of Zero Abuse Project, a 20+ person national nonprofit. This individual reports to the Chief Executive Officer, and works closely with program directors and managers, the Zero Abuse accountants, HR consultant, brokers, and vendors. This position will also supervise an Operations Assistant to be hired within six months of their start date.
Finance & Budgeting – 35%
- Work closely with the ZAP accountants to build cashflow projections and communicate critical financial information to the CEO and board.
- Lead the annual budget process with the CEO and monitor progress and changes.
- Assist program directors with grant and program budgeting, forecasting expenses, and project closeout spending.
- Review financial information in the accounting systems to ensure accurate coding.
- Process invoices and credit card charges until an Operations Assistant is hired.
- Act as the internal point of contact for annual audits and 990 preparation, including providing financial information and significant engagement with auditors.
- Update and implement accounting policies and procedures.
People Operations/Human Resources – 30%
- Coordinate the full cycle of hiring and separation processes including resume review, interviewing, drafting offer letters, completing background and reference checks, facilitating systems access, and contributing to the onboarding process.
- Work closely with external insurance brokers to assist with benefit plan evaluation, selection, and implementation.
- Act as the main point of contact for an external HR consultant and maintain internal HR records and documentation.
- Manage annual open enrollment and annual review processes.
- Write and review internal policies as needed, track versions, and staff acknowledgement signatures.
- Draft weekly updates to all staff to share important information.
- Supervise the Operations Assistant and manage shared responsibilities.
- Drive the organizational strategic planning process in conjunction with the CEO and program directors and manage the strategic plan follow up and follow through.
- Lead DEI and staff wellness initiatives with support from internal committees.
- Create and implement succession planning policies and processes for all staff positions.
IT/Systems Administration – 20%
- Act as a system administrator for Zero Abuse platforms such as Grasshopper, APS, Keela, Airtable, Google Workspace, etc.
- Identify areas where systems can be improved and implement solutions and/or research and recommend new systems.
- Serve as the first stop for staff technical issues and questions.
- Order, set up, and ship computer equipment for new and existing staff.
- Record internal user video tutorials and create guides for new and existing technology and platforms.
General Operations – 15%
- Manage state tax and charitable registrations with support from external vendors.
- Work closely with brokers to facilitate annual liability insurance renewals and complete audit processes.
- Support program directors with administrative contract and grant requirements, such as running system reports and obtaining certificates of insurance.
- Schedule organizational meetings and develop agendas.
- Maintain organization-wide calendars and information on Shared Drives
- Monitor the organization’s general inboxes.
- 7-10 years of experience in or related to operations, administration, and/or finance for a small to mid-size organization.
- Demonstrated ability to lead budgeting processes and interpret and communicate financial information, including cash flow projections and financial statements.
- Experience working with and/or managing federal grant funding.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise internal staff and external vendor relationships.
- Works well in a team and interacts positively with staff and vendors.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Technology savvy with expertise in Excel and familiarity with Google Workspace.
- Experience in the nonprofit field, especially victim services, is highly desired.
- Experience setting up equipment and supporting technology needs.
- Familiarity with Bill, Sage Intacct, Keela, APS, Zapier, and/or Airtable.
Skills & Abilities needed to excel in this position
- Effective organizational and problem-solving skills with attention to detail and self-driven time-management skills.
- Excels at improving processes, adapting to change, innovating, meeting tight deadlines, and supporting a staff of 20+ professionals.
- Comfortable in a fully-remote, fast-paced environment.
- Proficient in managing multiple priorities, with the ability to prioritize and initiate tasks independently.
- Ability to critically evaluate circumstances, analyze, and problem-solve quickly.
- Strong customer service orientation with the ability to manage in every direction.
- Ability to organize thoughts and ideas into understandable terminology.
What Else You Should Know
- $85,000-$97,000 annual salary commensurate with experience.
- Reports to the Chief Executive Officer.
- FLSA exempt position.
- 100% FTE position with a flexible schedule.
- Remote position – Can be based anywhere in the continental United States with access to reliable high-speed internet.
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Start date ASAP.
Please send the following materials to email@example.com:
- Cover letter
Please use the subject line ‘Finance & Admin Director – [your name]’ and include all materials as a single PDF attachment.
Zero Abuse Project is committed to being a diverse and inclusive organization that promotes equity and dismantles systems of power and privilege. We know that high-performing teams include people who can share new and unique perspectives. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, especially people of color and those who identify as a member of a historically marginalized group. Zero Abuse Project is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
Zero Abuse offers an excellent benefits package including: health, dental, and vision insurance, 401(k) retirement plan with match, disability insurance, life insurance, annual office closures the week of July 4th and the last week of the year, and generous paid time off.
Location: US Locations Only