Director of Engineering at Float
Title: Director of Engineering
- Location: United States
Float is the world’s leading resource planner, helping teams at brands such as Airbnb, Buzzfeed and Ogilvy better plan and manage their time. Founded in 2011, Float is proudly self-funded, profitable and 100% remote. Our growing team of twenty-four are made up of engineers, product designers, marketing and customer success folks in more than eight countries.
About the Role
We are looking for an experienced Director of Engineering to champion the growth and success of our talented team of 10 senior engineers. In this newly created role, you will be responsible for our engineering team’s performance and contribution to the overall business success, driving forward material improvement to application speed, reliability and user experience.
At its core, this role is about supporting and empowering our team to do their best work while reaching their professional development goals. You’ll coach your team to drive continuous improvement, keep each accountable to their roles and goals, and schedule regular 1:1s and check-ins to measure progress and overall team health. You’ll lead your team’s annual performance reviews.
You’ll be joining us at an exciting stage of growth for the company. We’ll be continuing to scale the engineering team, and you’ll work with the co-founders to identify skill gaps and opportunities, shaping these as open roles and enabling us to grow deliberately and effectively.
As we scale, you’ll partner with our CTO and co-founder to define benchmarks for measuring success for our application and the growing ecosystem of integrations and connections, helping drive growth and expansion for the more than 3,500 teams around the world that rely on Float each work day.
As a leading productivity tool, we take pride in our own internal process and practices that drive efficiencies. You’ll partner with department leads to identify improvements to communication and internal documentation in a predominantly async environment. You’ll have the opportunity to share the work and publicise our team wins via our blog and marketing channels.
You have more than five years experience successfully managing senior engineering teams. You have a broad history of technical development experience working on complex projects where you played a strategic role in defining application architecture and infrastructure decisions with executive teams. You have a knack for balancing both the management and the execution with grace and efficiency.
Technical experience we are looking for:
- Working with teams deploying to production via CI/CD in a cloud-based microservice architecture using modern orchestration tools, e.g., Kubernetes.
- Leading security initiatives like SOC 2 (or similar) through compliance reviews.
- Active in developing new products, identifying requirements and setting timelines.
- Working with 3rd-party integrations and managing external vendor relationships.
At Float, we lead by example and believe deeply in the idea of servant leadership. You’re likely familiar with books like Turn the Ship Around and Dare to Lead, and Simon Sinek’s approach to leadership.
The salary range for this role is US $168-188k.
We have a range of expanding and improving benefits and perks including:
- Home office expense budget: We help you kickstart or upgrade your home office setup.
- Co-working expense budget: A budget for when you’d like to work out of home.
- Annual team meetup: We get together as a full team every year, the last two were in Athens and Lisbon. We will continue this tradition when the time is right.
- Care for your community. Two days a year for you to support with your time, or donate with your wage, for a local charity of your choosing.
- Team liquidity pool: Rewarding our team if there’s ever an exit
If you’re in the US, we pay 50% of your medical, dental & vision coverage, including partners and children.
We encourage people of different locations, backgrounds and perspectives. We are a US-based company, if you are outside the US, you’ll be hired as a contractor.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!