Director of Development
- United States
- Full Time
This is the moment for climate action. An unprecedented number of Americans are expressing deep concern about climate change, and women are exercising their political power like never before. Mothers Out Front is positioned to grow our diverse, mother-led climate movement into a force for the change we need to ensure a livable climate for all children. And we need you to make this happen.
We are a fully remote, dynamic social impact organization with ambitious expansion goals. As our Director of Development, you will help to shape and lead this expansion, including execution of the new Strategic Development Action Plan. You will be part of the senior management team, working side-by-side with senior staff, the Board Chair and other key stakeholders. This is an exciting leadership opportunity for a strategic, collaborative and energetic individual.
About Mothers Out Front
Mothers Out Front builds our power as mothers to ensure a livable climate for all children. We are building a diverse national movement of mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers dedicated to convincing elected officials and business leaders to work for a swift, complete, and just transition away from fossil fuels to clean and renewable energy. We know that mothers have an important role to play in the climate change movement, and, when it comes to protecting their children, mothers are an unstoppable force for change! Our goal is simple: to enable mothers to take active leadership in climate change work by providing the structure, training, and tools for them to work together on campaigns in their communities and at the statewide level.
We work with and draw leadership from the frontline communities who are experiencing the worst effects of fossil fuels from the dangers and challenges caused by extreme weather patterns to devastating health effects like asthma and other respiratory illnesses with particular attention to low-income communities and communities of color.
We are a member-led, national organization that is growing quickly. Founded in 2013, this year’s operating budget is $4.1m. We currently have staff working in eight states and are a fast growing organization with no plans of slowing down.
Reports to: Executive Director, partners regularly with the Board Chair
Supervises: 1 FT Development Associate, 1 FT Development Coordinator and 1 PT Grant Writer — and the opportunity to grow the team to meet our fundraising needs
As the Director of Development, you will oversee, coordinate and execute the Mothers Out Front’s 2019/2020 strategic development action plan. You should have a proven track record of facilitating the creation of long-term philanthropic relationships and growing organizational revenue by employing donor centered tactics, ideally for a progressive social impact organization.
You should have in-depth knowledge of major and principal gift philanthropy, and the necessary skills and expertise to develop and cultivate new relationships and effectively position Mothers Out Front as a leader in the social impact sector. You should be a proven staff manager, team player and organization-wide collaborator.
Your responsibilities will include:
Action Plan Execution and Major Donor Expertise
- Managing and executing the Mothers Out Front strategic development action plan.
- Cultivating, soliciting and stewarding existing donors and funders while developing a robust donor/funder pipeline in concert with the Board Chair, Executive Director and other key organizational stakeholders.
- Implementing your knowledge of venture philanthropy, Donor Advised Funds (DAFs) and family foundations.
- Working in concert with the Executive Director, lead volunteers, and key members of the staff senior management team to strategically elevate Mothers Out Front’s visibility and position the organization as a leader in the field and beyond.
- Working collaboratively with the Organizing Director and Communications Manager to develop and execute an integrated philanthropy, marketing and communications strategy to elevate the profile of the organization and attract new donors.
- Facilitating the cultivation and stewardship of relationships with various stakeholders with an eye towards new philanthropy.
- Effectively overseeing all development activities, and ensure that such activities are designed and implemented in support of the organization’s fundraising goals.
- Developing a comprehensive understanding of the organization’s climate change programs and campaigns and fundraising activities, and partnering with relevant program teams to develop and execute philanthropic strategies.
- Managing a comprehensive donor/funder relations strategy in support of MOF’s strategic development action plan including proactive stewardship, responding to donor inquiries and concerns, acknowledging gifts, etc.
- Developing systems and reports to assess fundraising activity and efficacy, and to provide metrics and analysis to senior executives and board members.
- Establishing annual fundraising goals and objectives, including the development and tracking of the department’s annual revenue and expense budgets.
- 25% travel encompassing both day trips and overnights required and expected.
Your education and experience should include:
- A minimum of seven (7) years of fundraising experience in a social impact organization, specifically developing and implementing strategies with a focus on cultivating, soliciting and stewarding major gifts.
- Experience managing and empowering staff through active communication and delegation to foster accountability through clearly defined and measurable goals.
- Experience developing and executing a strategic development plan that includes major donors, institutional giving and grassroots fundraising.
- A proven track record of cultivating donor relationships and facilitating the closing of gifts in the $10K+ range. Enthusiasm for contact with donors and prospects; comfort and familiarity with High Net Worth individuals.
- Demonstrated proficiency and experience in managing competing priorities while maintaining high standards of quality and responsiveness.
- Demonstrated experience working with databases, and experience in translating data for use in developing plans to meet future challenges; experience with Salesforce preferred.
- CFRE preferred.
Your knowledge, skills and abilities should include:
- An ability to work in a remote environment for a fully virtual organization. Highly computer literate.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Multicultural competence and demonstrated ability to work with people from a variety of ethnic, racial, socio-economic, educational, linguistic, and religious backgrounds, as well as people of various physical abilities, sexual orientations, gender identities, and generations.
- Excellent solution oriented skills with an ability to respond quickly to changing priorities.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative environment where teamwork, collegiality and self-motivation are necessary for success.
- Strong project management skills, coupled with sharp attention to detail, and a demonstrated ability to effectively manage competing priorities.
Details: Mothers Out Front is a virtual organization. Candidates can be based anywhere in the U.S. and will work from a home office. You will report to our Executive Director and partner regularly with our Board Chair. This a full-time position.
Salary and benefits: The salary range is $100K to $120K+, depending on experience. Benefits include health and dental coverage, a 401(k) plan, flexible spending plan, paid vacation, holidays, sick days, and support for remote work set-up. We offer ongoing training opportunities, a fast-paced, dynamic, supportive, and collaborative setting and we are proudly women-led!
Timeline: We are accepting applications for this position through July 9th and hope to fill the position in August. We have a thorough interview process which involves a phone interview, video interview, writing exercise, reference calls, and an in-person interview for candidates who continue to advance through the process. We also have a commitment to building up a sizable and diverse candidate pool before moving applicants to the final interview stages, which means there may be a delay in getting back to you. Our hope is that our process allows us to make the best possible decision and for you to learn more about us and appreciate your understanding if there is a delay at any point. We will do our best to keep you posted on your status throughout the process and ask that you stay in touch too.