Director of Data Science and Analytics at Varsity Tutors
Title: Director of Data Science and Analytics
- Location: Remote
We are looking for a proven leader with experience building teams, guiding application of data science and machine learning methods, with an eye and passion for data quality, and the ability to connect analytics to business impact. The ideal person will lead and grow the existing team to amplify impact through the combination of analytical and tooling innovation, scaled execution, science leadership, data partnership, and high pace of execution.
The Business Intelligence and Data Science team provides access to clean data, drives decision making using simple and advanced analytical techniques, and builds data products. This team partners with product and engineering to enable real-time decisions including forecasting, resource optimization, tutoring efficacy, and supply health.
About Varsity Tutors
Varsity Tutors is revolutionizing how people learn with personalized instruction. We offer a full suite of learning formats, including 1:1 personalized instruction, live classes in small and large formats, and self study. Our award-winning online and mobile learning platforms connect students and professionals from all around the world with personalized instruction. To date, Varsity Tutors has raised $107M in venture funding. The most recent round was a $50M Series C in 2018 led by Learn Capital, with participation from The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative and existing investor TCV. Come join our growing team!
- M.S. or Ph.D. degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Machine Learning or other quantitative discipline.
- 5+ years experience building data products including 5+ years managing data scientists
- 5+ years experience with mixed data skills and methodologies (analytics and data science).
- Experience with two or more of the following: Bayesian reasoning, Natural Language Processing, speech processing, classification, ranking systems, recommendation systems.
- Passion to translate business objectives into loss metrics and actionable analyses.
- Strong analytical intuition and business acumen balancing scientific rigor and practical application
- Own vision and roadmap for data products at Varsity Tutors
- Hire team analysts and scientists focused on the span of causal inference activities (experimentation and modeling)
- Lead an analytics team that partners both on delivering short-term requests with high expectations on SLAs to broader strategic projects with complex deliverables
- Provide deep technical guidance and mentorship
- Ensure access to high quality data and consistent metrics
Varsity Tutors Leadership Competencies
Customer obsession * Bias for action * Accountability * Stewardship * Think big * Remove friction * Gather data and use information * Intellectual curiosity * Comfort with ambiguity * Build teams
- Healthcare Plans (Medical, Dental, Vision, Life)
- 401k Company Plan
- Remote Position, fully work from home (or wherever you like!)
- Flexible PTO plus a floating holiday
- Paid VTO (“volunteer time off” to do community service/charity work)
- 52 hours of Free Learning Sessions per year for you or immediate families members and free access to our Virtual School Day classes and School@Home program
- Once in a lifetime opportunity to help revolutionize how the world learns!
- Fun, collaborative, and team-oriented work environment with plenty of training and a feedback rich culture
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!