Director, Legal Operations
REMOTE – NORTH AMERICA
Auth0 is a pre-IPO unicorn. We are growing rapidly and looking for exceptional new team members to add to our teams and will help take us to the next level. One team, one score.
We never compromise on identity. You should never compromise yours either. We want you to bring your whole self to Auth0. If you’re passionate, practice radical transparency to build trust and respect, and thrive when you’re collaborating, experimenting and learning – this may be your ideal work environment. We are looking for team members that want to help us build upon what we have accomplished so far and make it better every day. N+1 > N.
Auth0 is a well-funded, rapidly growing, VC backed company. We are looking for an experienced Director of LegalOps to help maximize efficiencies for Auth0’s legal function, in particular through the use of technology. We expect the Director LegalOps to play a key role in determining and building out the LegalOps function and team within the company, and in working closely with Auth0’s FinOps, SalesOps and Compliance teams. We are seeking a results-oriented professional with effective execution skills and proven experience managing multiple projects to completion.
The Director, Legal Operations reports directly to Auth0’s General Counsel. The role maintains the legal department’s strategic plan and coordinates with members of the legal team and other Auth0 teams in ensuring the department’s objectives are realized. In support of those objectives, the role’s primary accountabilities are to oversee:
- Day-to-day department operations, including standard reporting, budgeting, and financial management.
- Continuous improvement of internal legal service delivery through innovations in process, technology, and analytics.
- Optimization of Auth0’s legal value chain through a comprehensive external legal resource management program that includes third party cloud technology applications and services, outsourced services, law firms, and other vendors
- The Director, Legal Operations must have direct knowledge of and be able to hire and lead a multiple disciplinary team responsible for:
- Strategic Planning: in collaboration with members of the legal team and other Auth0 teams, create and maintain the law department’s target operating model. Track and report on progress. Recommend new objectives and course corrections.
- Financial Management: maintain/report on unified a department budget including both internal and external resources.
- Technology: ensure company-wide tools are being fully utilized by the law department. Research, source, implement, integrate, and maintain legal-specific tools such as sell-side and buy-side contract lifecycle management systems, and tools for export control, matter intake and management, records management, entity management, stock administration and reporting.
- Information Management: Implement and maintain resources to store, track and exploit data and information for reporting, compliance and due diligence purposes.
- Knowledge Management: institutionalize legal knowledge by capturing and organizing legal work product, creating self-service tools and training programs for other Auth0 employees, and embedding legal know-how in business workflows.
- Data Analytics: improve data-driven decision making throughout the legal team and the company in general. Develop and deploy dashboards, metrics, KPIs, and OKRs.
- External Resource Management: optimize the legal value chain. Create an external resource management program integrating the department’s internal workflows with external legal resources, including technology providers, vendors and law firms.
- 10 years experience in the legal market
- 6 years experience in legal operations.
- Demonstrated acumen in all areas under responsibilities above.
- Ability to build relationships both within the legal team and cross-functionally.
- Experience identifying, writing, and prioritizing business requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple workstreams and priorities in a results-oriented manner.
- Apply sound judgment in ambiguous situations and unstructured environments with little oversight.
- Shift easily between strategic and tactical work, make decisions independently, and prioritize/re-prioritize in a fast-paced environment, escalating as appropriate
- Drive schedules and deliverables through influence, leadership and sound project management skills
- Work effectively in a relatively flat hierarchy / informally matrixed, cross-functional, culturally diverse, and global environment
- Drive results without reporting relationships.
- Strong interpersonal and teaming skills.
- Supervisory experience.
- In-house experience.
- Law firm experience.
- Legal process outsourcing experience.
- Legal pricing background (i.e., AFAs).
- Advanced degree (e.g., JD or MBA).
- Project management training (PMI, Lean, Six Sigma, Agile, Design Thinking).
- Current or previous affiliation with CLOC, ACC, Buying Legal Council, P3, and ILTA.