Director, Data Scientist at DuckDuckGo
Director, Data Scientist (Remote)
- Multiple Countries
- Full Time
We are a diverse and fully-distributed team from around the world, working toward our shared vision to raise the standard of trust online.
Join us as a remote Director, Data Scientist to help define, build and grow a data strategy to support DuckDuckGo’s growth goals.
As part of our team, you will leverage your deep technical expertise to provide actionable, data-driven insights to team members at all levels. Examples of projects you might work on include: analyzing service performance across multiple dimensions (e.g. revenue, user LTV), reviewing and redefining our analytics tool chain or country level analysis.
We empower our team to be self-directed and self-motivated in their work. If you’d thrive in that environment, and our core values resonate with you — build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction — you’ll fit right in!
What you will do:
- Propose and lead high-complexity projects, turning vague problems into tightly-scoped high-impact projects and executing them against a set of success criteria with a low amount of oversight.
- Provide data science and analytical expertise to craft actionable insights for high impact company-wide objectives.
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners in product, engineering, operations, finance, and marketing to define and build data-informed business strategy and roadmaps.
- Lead data analysis design and discussions, and get buy-in among groups of opinionated stakeholders.
- Analyze partner performance metrics, in combination with market metrics and other public data, to recommend actionable opportunities.
- Apply pragmatic reasoning to navigate complex challenges and competing interests.
- Leverage experiments and data to validate your direction and demonstrate the efficacy of your efforts.
- Refine our data analytics tool chain: from obtaining, through cleaning, modelling, visualizing to interpreting our data.
- In time, assist in identifying long term data science needs and in building a high performance, responsive team able to meet them.
- Be a subject matter expert at the company in data science related matters.
- Take privacy and user experience into consideration throughout the process.
What we are looking for:
- 8+ years of experience in algorithmic engineering and data science.
- Experience with SQL, Python and Jupyter
- Experience working in a complex, matrix organization, requiring significant collaboration across multiple strategic and tactical initiatives.
- Experience with statistical modelling, database design and time series analysis.
- Ability to build deep understanding of new domains fast, new languages and ideas.
- Relentless drive to uncover root causes in order to derive accurate insights.
- Excellent data visualization, presentation skills and project management skills.
- Strong business acumen coupled with highly pragmatic decision making.
- Growth mindset that responds well to feedback.
- Excellent communication skills. You can validate your decisions and communicate them clearly.
Other things to know:
- While we leverage specific job titles for hiring purposes, we do not use them internally. Instead, we follow our own professional levels, with expectations for each level clearly defined across several dimensions.
- We are a small, remote team distributed across time zones, and we rely on a variety of communication tools throughout the day. You should feel comfortable with the intricacies of this type of work situation.
- Sometimes we meet up! Expect to travel at least two times a year: once for our all-hands meetup and again for a team retreat (each ~4-5 days).
- We believe in a focused approach to collaboration, where individual team members work on a single top priority at a time, each supporting larger, company-wide objectives. This philosophy serves to impact our vision to raise the standard of trust online.
- Our work philosophy centers on empowered project management. All team members have opportunities to run projects.
- Transparency supports individual and team success at DuckDuckGo. We encourage everyone to participate in areas of interest throughout the company. Anyone and everyone can (and should) ask questions and offer feedback about our products and internal projects.
- We strive to exemplify our values (build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction) in everything we do.
- While this is a full-time job, we offer a flexible work arrangement with no core hours, expecting an average commitment of 40 hours per week.
- We support professional development of our team members through career advisory and a learning stipend, reinforcing our culture of growth and skill-building.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!