Director Counsel, Privacy and Data Security at Target
Title: Director Counsel, Privacy and Data Security
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Director Counsel, Privacy & Data Security
To match the signature style and passion of Target’s distinctive and beloved retail brand, Target Legal Affairs is a dynamic and deeply knowledgeable team of legal pros, each with valuable expertise from several disciplines. This team advocates for Target and its business and works across the entire company to provide internal clients with business and legal advice. Here, you’ll enjoy working autonomously with a healthy work-life balance. Your passion for learning the business and building relationships with the senior leaders and key business partners that you support will be key to tackling the ever-changing legal challenges we face in a dynamic and fast-paced retail landscape. Focusing on providing guidance on cutting edge issues in the dynamic space of privacy and data security law, you’ll be challenged and gratified by a role with Target Legal Affairs.
In this role, you’ll provide the highest level of expertise as you counsel Target’s business and compliance teams regarding various areas of privacy and data security law applicable to our business, including state, federal, and international laws such as the FTC Act, CCPA/CPRA, VDPA, TCPA, GLBA, HIPAA, COPPA, CAN-SPAM, and state data breach notification laws. You will provide legal advice in areas related to Target’s guest and team member data management practices, marketing programs, emerging technologies, corporate and ESG governance, and government inquiries. You will stay up to date on industry and legal trends and provide advice regarding legislative proposals. You will work with a wide variety of business partners to provide timely, thorough and strategic legal advice on business projects, governance issues, policies, record retention, and contracts. You will collaborate closely with Target’s compliance teams in the building and maintenance of compliance programs. You will be a key member of Target’s cybersecurity incident response team. You will interact with external stakeholders such as trade organizations and government representatives. You will create and provide both written and in-person training and self-help tools and manage outside counsel resources. In this individual contributor role, you will work independently with minimal direct supervision.
- J.D. degree from accredited law school; admitted or eligible for admission to Minnesota bar
- 5+ years legal experience in a law firm, in-house, or government capacity, working in the area of privacy and data security
- Deep experience in counseling regarding state and federal privacy laws and regulations as they relate to consumers, including policy drafting and compliance with laws regarding the collection, use and sharing of personal information. Experience counseling in the retail or consumer technology environment is helpful, but not required.
- Experience in counseling regarding data security issues, including incident response
- Ability to independently drive accountability and influence outcomes
- Analytical and critical thinking skills with the ability to distill complex or ambiguous issues into concise and actionable advice
- Demonstrated ability to strike a balance between risks and business goals
- Highly organized, with the ability to adapt, prioritize and successfully manage multiple tasks or projects in response to changing or competing priorities
- Ability to develop effective written and verbal communications and presentations for all levels of leadership; comfortable presenting information to large groups across all levels of the organization
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Strong team player, with the ability to collaborate effectively with peers to allocate work and respond to business needs
This position may be considered for a Full-Time Remote or Hybrid work arrangement based on Target’s needs. A Hybrid work arrangement means the team members core role will be a blend of virtual and onsite at a Target location. A Full-Time Remote work arrangement means the team member worksfull-time from home oran alternatelocation that’s not a Target location, does not have a desk at their primary HQ work location and may travel to HQ up to 4 times a year.
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada residents is $119,500 to $215,100. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, Target cares about and invests in you as a team member, so that you can take care of yourself and your family.