Director of Compensation at Petco
Title: Director Compensation
- Location: United States
In this role, you will get to:
Work for a company with a strong mission, to improve lives for pets, pet parents and the partners who work at Petco. Petco is a growth company with strong financial performance. We are winning across the retail sector and have set the standard for the modernization online and in our stores, especially in pet health and wellness. You will have the opportunity to build Petco’s compensation brand – internally and externally. We are newly public, and we are building new programs that support our 27,000 partners. You will work on a lot of exciting in-flight projects that will allow you the opportunity to lead interesting, meaningful work through a strong team of Compensation professionals.
Petco is located in San Diego and has an office in San Antonio. This job can be done from one of our offices or be remote. It is a great opportunity to continue to work from home!
The Director Compensation leads the day-to-day administration of Petco’s base compensation programs and strategies. You understand that Compensation is a critical component to Petco’s employee value proposition, and you will design and implement strategies, processes, and technologies that help attract, reward, and drive engagement with our 27,000 partners. The role is responsible for growing and managing a team of compensation professionals by setting a compelling strategic vision, coaching and mentoring, and creating the right culture to achieve that mission.
Essential Job Functions
- Provide a full spectrum of consulting and analytical compensation services by translating business strategic direction into meaningful compensation programs.
- Apply best practice compensation principles to provide customized, enterprise-aligned compensation solutions designed to support business, team and leadership strategies.
- Proactively complete needs analysis, problem identification, and recommendations, influencing decision-making at all levels within the organization.
- Partner with executive leaders and the HR leadership team to develop appropriate compensation strategies, policies, programs, and communications.
- Participate directly on enterprise-wide compensation projects including policy and program development and automated solutions.
- Lead a team of compensation resources to deliver design, analysis, implementation and on-going administration of compensation programs.
- Effectively communicate with peers, Human Capital Partners and Leaders by proactively sharing information, analysis and solutions, as appropriate.
- Performs additional compensation analysis and projects as assigned.
- Among other responsibilities, owns the following core compensation functions/cycles: Merit, Minimum Wage, Operational incentive plans, Base pay structures and job architecture, Salary surveys and system, Compensation policies and procedures.
To be a successful candidate:
- You be able to engage with senior leaders, actively listen to determine potential solutions, address concerns forthrightly and demonstrate courage by providing alternative views.
- You will have practical core compensation experience in a retail business or similar category.
- You should be comfortable presenting ideas and concepts to senior leaders in the organization. The ability to translate complicated topics into simple and succinct messages is essential.
- You should have demonstrated strong technical and functional skills in problem analysis, program design and project management in order to deliver high-quality, well-executed compensation programs.
- You should be comfortable with some level of ambiguity and have the ability to adapt to changing business needs, as appropriate. While many Compensation practitioners may like to operate in black and white, for the groups this role supports the individual must be adept at organizational agility and working in many shades of grey.
- You should have the ability to direct the work on your team, partner with peers, and leverage innovation to deliver on our ever-evolving business needs.
- Leads a team of compensation analysts and manager.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, Finance, or a related field.
- 7-10+ years of progressive experience in compensation
- Working knowledge of HCM software (Workday a plus!) and data reporting and manipulation
- Data modeling, statistical analysis, financial skill-set, and/or advanced MS Excel skills.
- Certification (CCP) or advanced training in compensation preferred.
- Experience in a retail environment with multiple locations across the country preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully collaborate with HR leaders and staff (E.g., Business Partners and Talent Management) in support of compensation matters.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to successfully persuade, influence, negotiate and communicate alternatives and solutions to all levels of the organization.
- Ability to proactively identify compensation concerns and formulate solutions and recommendations for further review and approval.
- Subject matter expert in compensation principles, practices, and analysis.
- Strong knowledge of the Fair Labor Standards Act to include Federal and State exemption standards and requirements.
- Knowledge of relevant Federal and State wage payment laws.
- Strong customer service orientation and project management skills.
- Highly developed detail orientation, initiative, problem solving and analytical skills.
- Able to read, interpret and effectively communicate instructions, policy, procedures, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to work in an organized and efficient manner to accurately complete assignments on time.
- Ability to think creatively or “outside the box.”
- Demonstrated ability to use basic desktop applications such as MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint at an intermediate level.
- The majority of job duties are performed while seated indoors at a personal computer with little or no exposure to hazards.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!