Director, Commercial Legal at Sophos
Director, Commercial Legal
- US Remote, US Remote, US, 01803
Sophos Overview – Cybersecurity Evolved
Sophos is a worldwide leader in next-generation cybersecurity, protecting more than 500,000 organizations and millions of consumers in more than 150 countries from today’s most advanced cyberthreats. Powered by threat intelligence, AI and machine learning from SophosLabs and SophosAI, Sophos delivers a broad portfolio of advanced products and services to secure users, networks and endpoints against ransomware, malware, exploits, phishing and the wide range of other cyberattacks. Sophos provides a single integrated cloud-based management console, Sophos Central – the centerpiece of an adaptive cybersecurity ecosystem that features a centralized data lake that leverages a rich set of open APIs available to customers, partners, developers, and other cybersecurity vendors. Sophos sells its products and services through reseller partners and managed service providers (MSPs) worldwide. Sophos is headquartered in Oxford, U.K. More information is available at www.sophos.com.
Sophos, a global security software company, is in search of an experienced commercial attorney to lead our fast-moving, collaborative commercial legal team. This role is a combined independent contributor and management role.
- As leader of the commercial counsel function within the Legal department, take primary responsibility for identifying routine commercial contract matters and developing documentation and guidance allowing transfer of workload to experienced contract managers (attorney and non-attorney negotiators) supporting scalable growth of business requests.
- Regularly review existing, and drive creation of new, template agreements and negotiation playbooks to reduce complexity in negotiations relating to sales, channel, supply chain and vendor contracts.
- As lead negotiator for complex engagements, draft and negotiate end user, channel sales, professional services and other outbound agreements for cloud/SaaS, on-premise software and hardware products as well as supplier agreements, relating to the procurement of various goods and services (e.g. IT, product infrastructure, marketing, etc.).
- Lead and manage a team of three senior attorneys responsible for drafting and negotiating similar commercial agreements.
- Provide practical, business-oriented legal/commercial contract advice in a succinct and timely manner directly to management, finance, and other company departments on legal issues and risks, negotiation strategies and deal structures.
- Provide guidance and training to, and address escalations from, contracts negotiation team.
- Collaborate with product counsel and business groups to provide support and guidance regarding sales and go-to-market programs.
- Advise on marketing and customer outreach activities to ensure consistency with applicable law and company policies and procedures.
- Develop training materials and provide training to the business on relevant topics such as the contracting process or key terms.
- Negotiate and resolve commercial disputes in a pragmatic way.
- Help manage threatened and pending litigation and third-party discovery requests, in coordination with outside counsel when required.
- Handle special projects as requested.
Skills & Experience:
- J.D. degree and bar membership in at least one state.
- 12+ years relevant experience in well-regarded law firm and/or in-house legal department. Prior in-house legal experience with a global high-tech company is essential.
- Prior experience scaling and managing an in-house commercial legal team.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!