Digital Project, Product Manager at Peace First
Digital Project/Product Manager (Remote – can be based anywhere)
- Peace First Boston, MA
- $50K – $60K Annual Salary
- Full Time
- Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, 401K / Retirement
Peace First is a global, tech-enabled NGO igniting and supporting a youth-led movement of global innovators tackling everything from social inclusion to climate change. We are looking for an exceptional digital project/product manager who can facilitate, coordinate, and manage work related to the Peace First digital platform and other digital projects within Peace First. This person will oversee staff and contract development resources, budgets, scope, and timelines related to the maintenance of the current Peace First platform as well as the creation of the next generation of the digital platform. In partnership with the Director of Technology, this person will collaborate with the whole of the Peace First team to set and operationalize the digital goals of the organization in order to best support the young people we serve.
Strong candidates will possess strategic project management, product management, and interpersonal relationship skills, must be detail-oriented, and be a strong writer and researcher. Additionally, we seek those who bring a spirit of curiosity, a hunger to learn, and a passion to support young leaders.
ABOUT PEACE FIRST
Peace First was founded in 1992 at Harvard University upon a simple idea: if we are going to solve the world’s greatest problems, we must support this generation of young people with the skills and commitments to solve problems by connecting across lines of difference with compassion, standing up for ideals and others with courage, and creating collaborative change.
Currently, there are 1.6 billion young people, ages 13-25, around the world. They care deeply about what’s going on, they have boundless ideas on how to solve injustices and are ready to act yet seldom are they asked by adults what they think or, better yet, supported in bringing their ideas to life. Few have access to tools, mentors, and resources to turn their insights into reality. This is the divide we bridge.
Peace First provides a blended digital design platform where young people can imagine and create powerful innovations to solve real problems in the world. In addition to digital design tools, we provide mentors, connections with young people from over 145 countries, and small start-up grants that start at $250 and scale up to $25,000 as youth scale their work. All of this takes place on the Peace First digital platform — the world’s largest marketplace for youth-led social change initiatives.
In order for us to achieve our long-term goal of supporting a movement of 2.5 million engaged, compassionate, and creative youth, Peace First is launching a $10 million Global Youth Investment Fund to provide the financial spark to support efforts for social change. It will be the single largest investment in youth social action ever.
This is a new position created in response to a commitment to improve the digital experience of our young people, supporters, and the general public. As a digital-first organization, the Peace First digital platform is the central application for the primary activity of Peace First. Our growing needs of the platform have outgrown the capacity and abilities of the current version of the platform. After a discovery process looking at options to move forward, we’ve decided to rebuild the platform from scratch. There is nothing like the Peace First platform in the world. So we have to build it. Working in collaboration with technology advisors, staff, users, and other stakeholders, we have completed the discovery phase of the rebuild project. We are ready to begin building the platform. This position will manage the build of the new Peace First digital platform and integrate a range of moving pieces, feedback, and inputs to ensure success. Specifically, managing this project will include:
- Working with the lead developer and architect to structure sprints and epics.
- Manage the timeline and budget for the build.
- Managing the flow of work to and between contract developers, designers, writers, etc.
- Track dependencies to make sure development can continue on schedule.
- Track and manage internal and external user testing.
- Manage internal communications related to project status and feedback and collaborative feedback and design work with other departments.
- Guide the project through build, launch, and maintenance, and future development.
This immediate build project is for the MVP of the next generation of the Peace First platform. Once the MVP launches, we will shortly thereafter begin the next phase of platform development, building all the things beyond the scope of the MVP. This position will then transition to iteratively managing the continued development of the platform.
While the new version of the platform is being built, there will be a small amount of maintenance necessary on the current platform. We currently have a contract developer dedicated to maintenance of the current platform. This position will also manage that maintenance contract work until the new platform launches.
This position will report to the Director of Technology. This is a role for someone excited to build upon Peace First’s record of innovation and long-standing relationships with storytellers and young people to help create something new in the world. The successful candidate has an entrepreneurial spirit, is excited about working in a small-shop setting, is passionate about amplifying young people’s stories as agents of change today and wants to help grow a movement of these young leaders.
KEY SKILLS AND EXPERIENCES
We understand that there are many paths to acquiring experience and therefore welcome candidates from diverse and nontraditional backgrounds for this role who have demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to carry out the major duties outlined in this job description. For this role, we are looking for a driven professional and project/product manager – someone who thrives in thoroughness, constant communication, and an environment of shifting prioritization. The successful candidate does not need to have experience working directly with youth, but they do need to be passionate about investing in young people as agents of change.
Strong candidates will be able to demonstrate:
- At least 3-5 years of relevant experience or in a role with transferable skills.
- Exceptional project management skills, extremely well-organized and strong attention to detail.
- Specific experience in managing digital projects/products.
- Ability to assign and oversee the daily tasks of technical personnel while ensuring all are actively working toward established milestones.
- Manage technical team meetings to determine progress and address any questions or challenges.
- Resourcefulness in approaches to designing solutions, building relationships, and solving problems.
- Effectively connects people and projects with one another across functional areas.
- Adept synthesizing of large amounts of information.
- Empathy, inquiry, and openness.
- Ability to be flexible, efficient, and diplomatic with diverse constituent groups.
- Eagerness to grow with Peace First.
- Flexibility and adaptability to changes in strategy, plan, or priority.
- UX/UI/Design skills a plus.
- Development experience is not required, but experience managing development projects is.
Written and spoken fluency in English. Spanish, Arabic, French, or other global language skills and/or global experience is a plus, but not a requirement. Non-USA candidates are encouraged to apply.
The range for this position is $50,000USD – $60,000USD, commensurate with experience. Peace First offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. For non-US candidates – salary will be equivalent to that of the United States’ salary band; additionally, cost of living, purchasing power, and local tax rate will be considered in determining salary and benefits package.
Immediate / 100% Remote. Peace First is headquartered in the U.S. with an increasingly global staff. Candidates inside or outside the U.S. are welcome to apply. Adherence to U.S.-friendly time zones will not be required, but meetings during Eastern Standard Time (UTC -5) will be common.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter explaining why the mission of Peace First resonates, as well as your relevant track-record. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Peace First is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, military service, age, ancestry, or disability.
For more information, please go to http://www.peacefirst.org.
NOTE FOR NON-US APPLICANTS: One snag with the WorkPop system is you have to put in a US address and US phone. Please don’t worry about it. Feel free to put in anything for the address/phone. We’ll know how to find you ; ).
We actively recruit, retain, and develop a multicultural and dynamic workforce that effectively and efficiently meets the wide spectrum of young people’s needs across the globe. We believe that an inclusive and open environment fosters creativity, contributes to the quality of our work, and provides growth opportunities for all employees.
To that end, we are seeking individuals who are excited about fostering this inclusive culture and working in an entrepreneurial environment where there is an immediate opportunity to have tangible impact on organizational direction and achievement. We are a team based around the world who thrive in an environment that embodies and celebrates the following:
- Possession of a deep belief in the ability of young people to create change
- Ability to adapt and apply skills to new and changing scopes of work
- Eagerness for more responsibility and exposure to new challenges
- Motivation to solve problems by taking initiative and trying new ways of doing things
- Enthusiasm for connecting others to our mission and providing them with powerful experiences
- Openness to working with others across diverse perspectives and backgrounds
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!