DevOps Engineer at Imperfect Produce
Imperfect Foods was founded in 2015 with a mission to reduce food waste and build a better food system for everyone. We offer imperfect (yet delicious) produce, affordable pantry items, and quality meat and dairy. We deliver them conveniently to our customers’ doorsteps and pride ourselves on offering up to a 30% discount compared to grocery store prices. Our customers can get the healthy, seasonal produce they want alongside the grocery staples they rely on, without having to compromise their budget or values. We’re proving that doing the right thing for the planet doesn’t have to cost more, and that shopping for quality ingredients can support the people and resources that it takes to grow our favorite foods.
We’re headquartered in San Francisco with operations all over the country. Check our website to see if there is an Imperfect near you!
We’re looking for folks who are positive, motivated, and ready to change the world. If that sounds like you, drop us a line!
About the Role
At Imperfect we are all about groceries on a mission. Since 2015, our services have saved over 40M lbs of food, 1.2B gallons of water, and 110M lbs CO2, donating 3M lbs of food along the way. Our software engineering team builds the ecommerce platform and internal tooling that makes this all possible. The team collaborates closely to develop features, solutions, and systems that enhance and transform user experience. We’re a remote-first team, with members scattered throughout the US. This role will report to the Devops Director, and can be remotely located within US.
We have exciting growth ahead of us as we evolve from only produce to a full-service grocery, as well as expand our footprint to serve an even greater portion of the country. We are swimming in interesting problems around customer-facing features, scale, and logistics. To help, we’re looking for an experienced engineer who can cover a lot of ground in both DevOps and test automation. This is our second dedicated hire for DevOps and test automation, and we expect this person to be a leader in infrastructure, quality and reliability. You should have the technical skills to work directly with AWS and test suites, and the communication skills to educate others and help to institute a culture of quality.
If preventing food waste, being a DevOps and test automation pioneer, and working daily with a bunch of pleasant people excites you, come join us!
- Manage all cloud-based infrastructure, including performance and cost optimization
- Ensure application and infrastructure observability
- Build internal tooling to reduce friction points in the software development lifecycle
- Establish and maintain test suites, collaborating with broader team team to execute
- Advocate for code quality and automated approaches to ensuring that quality
- Share on-call rotation and be an escalation point to the business and engineering
- Actively contribute to team and company standards
- Ensure the reliability of systems essential to Imperfect customers and internal users
- Keep up-to-date with the latest technology developments in your area(s) of expertise
Skills and Qualifications
- Deep expertise running production-grade, large-scale web software on AWS
- Experience implementing infrastructure-as-code
- Experience establishing test suites and integrating them into continuous integration systems
- Understanding of database schema design, caching and scalability
- Expertise with relational databases, such as PostgreSQL
- Experience with distributed, service-oriented systems communicating with RESTful API interfaces.
- Bonus: experience with event sourcing, CQRS and asynchronous communication using queues
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills to work cross-functionally with people in different areas of expertise
- A pragmatic, customer-centric approach to problem-solving
- A sincere commitment to crafting maintainable, dependable systems
- The willingness and ability to contribute to a team culture of quality
- Passionate about our mission to eliminate food waste and create a better food system for all
Details of Position
- Full-time exempt position
- Candidate can be remotely located within the US
- Salary and employee stock options commensurate with experience
- Competitive benefits package including health care, paid vacation, 401K, paid parental leave, and recurring credit towards your Imperfect account!
- A mix of sedentary and standing work
- Occasional movement around the office may be necessary
- Regular work with computers, including keyboards, mouses, and screens
- Standing desks and / or other ergonomic accommodation is available upon request
- Regular use of mobile devices, including smartphones and tablets
Individuals seeking employment at Imperfect Foods are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
U.S. E-Verify Notice: Imperfect Foods participates in E-Verify in the United States. Imperfect will provide the U.S. Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!