Data Science Lead – Credit Risk at Prosper Marketplace
Data Science Lead – Credit Risk
- FINANCE – CREDIT RISK MANAGEMENT
- FULL-TIME EMPLOYEE
Who We Are
Prosper is built on a simple idea: connect people who want to borrow money with those that have money to invest. Through Prosper, borrowers get access to fixed and low-rate loans and investors in those loans can earn solid returns. Our mission is to help build financial well-being for our users. Since our launch in 2005 as the first peer-to-peer lending marketplace in the US, more than 1 million loans have been provided through the Prosper platform. We’ve helped people gain access to more than $18 billion in loans for everything from consolidating credit card debt, making home improvements, and even paying for costly medical expenses.
Backed by leading investors like Sequoia Capital, Francisco Partners, Institutional Venture Partners, and Credit Suisse NEXT Fund, our platform is developed and supported with pride in our downtown San Francisco and sunny Phoenix offices.
What We Need
As the first peer to peer lending marketplace in the states, Prosper has a history of innovation. As a growth company that generates cash, Prosper also has a history of generating results. We are looking for an experienced data scientist who shares our vision of responsible adoption of technology and who would be excited to be part of a mission-driven team.
The successful candidate will join Prosper’s Credit Risk team working in Data Science. The Credit Risk team uses analytics tools to develop strategies that govern automated credit decisions in Prosper’s online marketplace. The Lead Data Scientist in Credit Risk will have the opportunity to exercise advanced technical skills to research and develop models used to manage credit and pricing decisions.
The candidate is expected to have strong data analytics skills, statistical acumen, machine learning know-how, and a passion for solving these challenges in innovative and effective ways. A successful candidate should be capable of performing a dual role of supervisor and contributor. The faster and more agile risk strategies keep our marketplace competitive and ensure that we continue to deliver on our mission of advancing financial well-being.
What You Will Do
- Design and develop credit & pricing models that drive automated lending decisions for hundreds of thousands of people every month
- Collaborate with Risk Team members to facilitate strategy development
- Work jointly with engineers to deploy models into production environment
- Propose and execute solutions to ill-defined problems while maintaining business perspective
- Come up with creative ways to find and use data that significantly impact our key business metrics
- Assess the potential usefulness and validity of new statistical approaches and data sources
- Motivate and mentor other data scientists to grow their skills and careers
- Advise on best practices and methods for evaluating and measuring experiments
- Build industry-leading predictive models to manage credit and fraud risks
- Leverage multiple complex data sources such as credit bureau reports, and customer supplied information at large scale to optimize approve / decline and credit line assignment decisions
What You Will Need to Have
- Advanced degree (M.S./PhD) preferably in statistics, economics, computer science, engineering, physical sciences, or related technical field
- 4-7 years of experience in fintech/finance applying statistical and machine learning predictive techniques
- Expert knowledge in one of the statistical programming languages such as Python or R, and database languages such as SQL
- Solid understanding and habitual use of coding best practices / model documentation requirements
- Strong communication skills – ability to clearly and succinctly communicate technical subject matter to other team members and Senior Management team
- Strong interpersonal skills – collaborate with people across functions and develop strong relationships
- Proven ability to supervise and direct multiple data science projects in parallel
- A passion for solving hard unstructured problems
- Able to think within regulatory guidelines with a mindset toward reproducible research
- Self-motivated, impact-oriented, enthusiastic, and a creative thinker
A Few Things to Know About Us
- We offer an excellent compensation and benefits plan for benefits-eligible employees, including incentive bonuses, stock options, company-paid health, dental, and vision insurance, paid vacation time, 401(k) with employer-match and more!
- Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
- Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
- Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA)
California applicants: please click here to view our California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) Notice for Applicants, which describes your rights under the CCPA: https://www.prosper.com/plp/legal/privacy-notice-for-applicants/
At Prosper, we’re looking for people with passion, integrity, and a hunger to learn. We encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn’t precisely match the job description. Your unique skill set and diverse perspective will stand out and set you apart from other candidates. Prosper thrives with people who think outside of the box and aren’t afraid to challenge the status quo. We invite you to join us on our mission to advance financial well-being.
Prosper is committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law, including the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Prosper will consider for employment qualified applicants who are non-US citizens and will provide green card sponsorship.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!