Data Sales Coordinator
Ballotpedia’s Revenue team is seeking a Data Sales Coordinator to expand the reach of Ballotpedia’s encyclopedic content by growing its data sales pipeline. The Data Sales Coordinator is a full-time position that reports to Ballotpedia’s Senior Director of Strategic Partnerships and who will work closely with the Tech, Editorial, and Revenue teams. As Ballotpedia’s Data Sales Coordinator, you will be on the front line of Ballotpedia’s data sales team. You will be responsible for managing a sales pipeline from identifying and reaching out to prospective customers to taking orders, delivering products, and maintaining relationships with people and organizations interested in purchasing political data from Ballotpedia.
Currently, Ballotpedia offers three distinct types of data to our customers:
- Bulk data pulled from Ballotpedia’s database, in the form of spreadsheets, which can include any variety of available information but is often related to election data or candidate lists. You can read more about our current bulk data offerings here.
- Custom research conducted by Ballotpedia, which requires coordination with Editorial staff.
- Access to Ballotpedia’s API, an enterprise solution for more technically-savvy companies that wish to build tools that connect with Ballotpedia’s vast database of elected officials, candidates, districts, endorsements, campaign finance, and more.
This role will have a primary focus on Ballotpedia’s bulk data offerings. To succeed in this role, you will have a passion for identifying and helping to meet people’s needs, a medium to high level of follow-through, be highly organized, and possess good marketing instincts.
Your job will require you to be an excellent communicator with stakeholders both inside and outside of the company. You need to figure out who needs our data, connect with them, make a sale, and go above-and-beyond to ensure they are satisfied. You need to work with peers and other departments to ensure a smooth delivery of the data products, without causing disruption of existing workflows and processes.
- Identifying potential leads via research, networking, and other methods
- Building and maintaining a sales pipeline
- Cold-emailing potential leads
- Managing multiple ongoing conversations—answering questions about data scope, timelines, and cost between data clients and Ballotpedia staff
- Developing marketing materials and working with Ballotpedia’s Communications team on outreach efforts
- Entering lead/client data into tracking systems
- Drafting licenses and invoices using existing templates
- Meeting with potential clients over the phone or on video calls to learn more about their projects and answer questions about Ballotpedia’s offerings
- Staying informed about elections at various levels of government and about the latest datasets that Ballotpedia has to offer and the technical specifics of various delivery methods
Skills and Qualifications
- 1-3 years of applicable experience
- Well organized with the ability to bring order to chaos
- Strong impulse to build and constantly improve systems
- Strong communication skills with the ability to build bridges between departments in the course of making a sale
- Possess good relationship-building skills and the desire to provide excellent customer service to existing and potential customers
- Sales experience is useful but is not required
- SQL database experience is a plus
- An interest in politics is a plus
The Data Sales Coordinator will work remotely from their home location. All Ballotpedia staff work remotely. To join Ballotpedia, you must have a computer with Internet access. Ballotpedia uses the Google Suite (Gmail, Google Calendar, Drive and more), Slack, and Asana to accomplish our goals. Some familiarity with the Google Suite, Slack, and Asana are helpful.
Ballotpedia has a flexible work environment in which every employee is 100% accountable to the results. Each employee will be oriented to the principles of Ballotpedia’s flexible environment during new employee training.
Ballotpedia’s compensation package is competitive. Compensation will be comprised of a base salary plus commission for sales. In addition to base salary, Ballotpedia offers a $6,500 annual benefits stipend, which may be used to pay for a full benefits package, including health, vision, and dental insurance; retirement accounts; and more. If benefits are not elected, the $6,500 stipend is taxed as regular income and added to your regular compensation.