Data Engineer at Precision Nutrition
Insights – Toronto, Ontario
WANTED: An ambitious Data Engineer who will help us better understand our customers.
PN is looking for an experienced database engineer who’s passionate about health, fitness and helping people live their best life.
Precision Nutrition is growing, and we need a team-oriented, inquisitive engineer who will help us improve our database management and build a better product. As one of the largest nutrition coaching companies in the world, PN is bigger than it’s ever been — and it’s about to get bigger.
To help us scale, we need a motivated, approachable jack-of-all-trades who knows how to work with stakeholders and users to gather requirements, design ETL and API processes, and take part in execution and QA so we can do what we do best: help millions more people live healthier, happier lives.
Join our Adventure
We’re embarking on a new adventure, and we need a multi-talented engineer to improve our database management
We’ve got an exciting journey ahead of us… Over the next 10 years, Precision Nutrition will be expanding its world-class education and coaching services into a wide range of new fields, including yoga, group exercise, sports coaching, athletics, manual therapy and more.
To help us reach our goals and keep us moving forward, we need a data engineer who knows how to build the pipe end to end—from requirements collection to post-rollout support and QA.
Who we’re looking for
- A collaborative self-starter, with a keen attention to detail
- You know the tools of the trade. You have a solid understanding of data warehousing tools and technology like Snowflake, as well as ETL tools like FiveTran and Stitch. You’re experienced with reporting tools such as Tableau, and you can manipulate and analyze data in Python and SQL like a pro. Other similar tools like Heap, Google Analytics, Stripe, and Salesforce are a plus too.
- You’re self-motivated. Once you are confident in what you need to do, you can run with it and don’t need a lot of direction. You have strong self-structure and discipline and have worked remotely either currently or in the past so you know the benefits and the challenges. At the same time, you don’t silo yourself, and are always eager to learn more and share with the team.
- You like variety. Not only will you be handling all kinds of systems, apps, and technologies — like the tools mentioned above—but you’ll need to help with execution, QA, and other aspects of our database management. You relish new challenges and get excited by the prospect of wearing multiple hats.
- You’re flexible. You have the ability to prioritize and re-prioritize your work in a changing environment. You understand that things change as new information is made available, and can flip from one project to another at the drop of a hat when your attention is needed.
- You’re a stickler for the details. You are careful, cautious and incredibly meticulous. Some may even call you nitpicky (in an endearing way, of course). You can spot the smallest mistake before it throws a database off course. Nothing slips by the net when you’re the goalie.
- You work well with others. You aren’t just here to take orders—you’re an expert in your field who knows how to take charge without shutting others out of the process. You can take ideas from multiple sources and synthesize them into a clear course of action—and then execute it with aplomb.
- You’re an exceptional communicator. You know how to get your message across clearly and concisely. You know how to say it, write it and present it in both layman’s terms and a bit more formally if needed. You know how to be heard and energize people around you no matter who you are interacting with, and you’re quick to respond when someone needs your help.
- You’re adaptable. You’re comfortable working with cross-functional teams, and you can switch gears as smoothly as a Formula 1 driver. You may be working on requirements gathering one day, and doing support and exception handling another, and you relish the idea of taking ownership of the entire data pipeline.
What you’ll be doing
Learning the company’s data needs…
You’ll work with people across the company to assess what data we need to gather. That means:
- Interviewing stakeholders, the analytics team, and users. From those people, you’ll gather requirements for data marts that the marketing, client care, and finance teams can use to better understand our customers.
- Optimizing the process. You’ll review our existing requirements gathering process, make it better, and design and develop new processes for doing so on future projects.
…and turning that into action
You’ll then build the data model structure and support it from end to end. That includes:
- Designing the process. You’ll develop the ETL processes, leveraging existing APIs or working with the tech team to build new ones.
- Build and document everything. You’ll build, test, and fine-tune the entire data warehouse, and create detailed documentation so our team isn’t lost when you aren’t around.
- Gather feedback and enter support mode. Your job isn’t done once the process is rolled out—you’ll also design new QA, security, privacy, and exception handling procedures, not to mention collect a backlog of enhancement requests and plan out the next release while working on other projects.
A few important caveats
This is a dream job, if you’re the right person for it.
Must-Have #1: You must be experienced.
- You’ve spent 5+ years working in a data engineering role of some sort. You’re familiar with some or all of the following: registration and user behavior data, digital marketing information, customer support systems, and survey responses. And you have a track record of obtaining requirements, designing, building, implementing, and supporting ETL processes, dimensional data models, and data repositories for business intelligence and analytics purposes.
Must-Have #2: You must be results-oriented.
- You know how to work with others and pay attention to the details—without getting slowed down by either. You know when to take more time and you know when it’s time to move full throttle and get things done. You aren’t satisfied until you’ve seen a project through to completion.
Must-Have #3: You thrive on collaboration.
- You’re a self-starter, but you know that great things aren’t built by just one person. You don’t just play nicely with others, you excel at it—instead of being told what to do, you want to meld minds with your coworkers, bring out their best ideas, and build something truly awesome.
Wondering if this is the right path for you?
Every year, professionals at the top of their field choose to join Precision Nutrition.
Here are 5 reasons why.
Reason #1: We give you the freedom to “do you.”
- Unlike most companies, we don’t have rigid rules about how and when to do things. You’ll always be free to work independently, whenever, wherever, and however you want.
Reason #2: You can work from anywhere.
- We’re a 100% remote company, and have been working remote for 17 years. When you join our team, you’re no longer shackled to one desk, one office, one city, or even one country!
Reason #3: Meetings are optional. (No, really.)
- You’re an adult. You’re capable of deciding how your time should be spent. If you don’t think you need to attend a meeting, you don’t. Simple as that.
Reason #4: You’ll always feel supported.
- In a regular office, it’s easy to feel like a hamster in a wheel, powerless to change things. At Precision Nutrition, we work as a team to overcome issues & barriers that stand in each other’s way, and we treat each other with enthusiasm, compassion, and care.
Reason #5: You’ll never be bored.
- People often come to Precision Nutrition after hitting a plateau in their old jobs. At PN, you’ll get the chance to conquer new challenges, learn from the best, and reach thrilling new heights of personal and professional growth.
Plus: no commute … and no 9-to-5 grind.
Go ahead: schedule work around your kids. Fly to Europe on a moment’s notice. We don’t care where you’re based or what hours you keep, as long as you always give us your best when it counts.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!