Data Engineer at Nexant
United States | Full time
Nexant is seeking a Data Engineer to join our growing Advanced Analytics team, which focuses on advancing the use of applied econometrics and data science for electric and gas utilities. This position will be responsible for creating and optimizing our data pipeline and architectures, as well as optimizing data flow and collection for our internal and external customers. The ideal candidate will have experience in data wrangling and pipeline development and enjoys optimizing data systems and building them from the ground up. This is a highly collaborative position that will primarily support the consulting and software teams by creating the necessary data infrastructure using Amazon Web Services (AWS) for their advanced analytics initiatives. The candidate must be self-directed and comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems, and products.
This position provides the opportunity to help accelerate the transition to a cleaner and more efficient energy mix for utilities throughout North America. Projects commonly involve high-volume time-series analysis of IoT data based on hourly energy consumption data for hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of utility customers.
- Collaborate with members of your team (e.g. data scientists, engineers, and managers) on your project’s goals and expectations.
- Create data tools for data science team members that assist them in building and optimizing advanced analytics applications, with a focus serving business intelligence and machine learning.
- Design, build, and maintain infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading (ETL), and storage of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and AWS.
- Build and maintain physical and logical data models.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Ensure data security/privacy and protocols are established and followed based on client and company requirements.
- Create custom software components and analytics applications as needed.
- Employ an array of programming languages and tools to connect systems together.
- Ensure that all systems meet stakeholder requirements as well as industry best-practices.
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, informatics, statistics, applied mathematics, or other quantitative fields
- 2+ years of experience designing, building, and maintaining large-scale data pipelines and warehouses in the cloud
- Experience optimizing data pipelines, architectures, and integrating disparate data sets.
- Knowledge in data modeling, data structures, and query performance tuning on MySQL, PostgreSQL, AWS RDS and Redshift, or similar data stores
- Knowledge of serverless computing in AWS using AWS Lambda and Step Functions
- Experience with object-oriented/object function scripting languages
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- Git or other version control experience
- Deep expertise with AWS cloud services as demonstrated by work history and cloud certifications is highly desired.
- Graduate degree in computer science, information systems, informatics, statistics, applied mathematics, or another quantitative field
- Experience with Microsoft Azure
- Experience working on high-volume time-series IoT data
- Experience with Docker and containerization
- Experience with “big data” platforms: Hadoop, Spark, Hive, etc.
- Experience building and deploying API’s
- Experience working with data scientists and machine learning applications
- System management expertise with monitoring, disaster recovery, backup, automated testing, automated schema migration, and continuous integration/deployment
Nexant offers competitive salaries based on candidate’s qualifications. Nexant also offers competitive paid vacation per year, a Group RRSP plan with employee matching funds and an overall comprehensive benefits package.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!