Customer Support Specialist at American Cancer Society
Customer Support Specialist
Area of Interest: Call Center
Position Type: Full-time
Alternate Posting Locations
Texas – San Antonio
Texas – Austin
Nevada – Las Vegas
*This is a permanently remote position which can be home-based anywhere in the U.S.*
The Customer Support Specialist provides enterprise customer service and technical support for donors, fundraisers, event participants, staff and volunteers of the American Cancer Society through various channels, including phone, chat, email, and/or social media. The delivery of customer service and support to include customers’ fundraising/donation activities, ACS’ software and website interactions, events and volunteer related needs. The Specialist supports customers with specialized inquiries using various resources and technical applications. The Specialist demonstrates the highest level of customer service and promotes resolution of issues through positive and deeper customer engagement. The Specialist utilizes Salesforce for tracking, information gathering and/or trouble shooting issues or concerns.
- Handles a high volume of inbound contacts regarding ACS income generation programs, events, volunteer interests and related websites and software.
- Assesses constituent requests and implied needs, using appropriate probing and clarifying questions.
- Attempts first contact resolution by leveraging technology and analytical skills to provide support and accurate information delivery. Takes complete ownership of requests, utilizing resource navigation and analysis skills to resolve constituent’s needs.
- Exercises independent judgment and discretion to appropriately triage urgent and/or complex technical issues to the appropriate level of support staff.
- Provides a high level of professionalism, customer service and cultivation with all customer interactions. Neutralizes escalated customers through excellent rapport and customer engagement.
- Resolves issues in multiple systems and ensures contacts and issues are correctly documented in all appropriate enterprise CRM systems.
- Utilizes administrative rights to troubleshoot and resolve web application, revenue generating and volunteer program issues.
- Employs extensive knowledge of ACS’ events, volunteer activities and programs to educate customers on how to navigate and use websites and tools’ features. Uses all available educational resources and trainings to keep abreast of new developments in relevant software, ACS policies and customer satisfaction techniques.
- Follows appropriate processes and procedures through use of Outlook, SharePoint and other tools.
- Promotes relationship development for continual constituent engagement and revenue growth. Identifies tailored opportunities to further engage customers to foster a mutually beneficial relationship.
- Assesses and reports opportunities for process improvements and report any website, related program outage or technical issue and customer feedback to appropriate resource.
- Abides by ACS policies and security requirements.
- Educates customers on additional engagement opportunities with the organization, as appropriate.
- Takes ownership of personal performance and development by engaging in coaching discussions with Manager.
- Additional duties as assigned, including projects and testing of new and enhanced process, procedures, programs and software.
- Some college and/or combination of two years business experience, preferably in a customer service-related position or tech support environment.
- Work from home experience desirable.
- Communicates effectively, with excellent written and verbal communication abilities required.
- Interpersonal savvy, with strong interpersonal skills required.
- Experience with managing ambiguity and complex situations.
- Demonstrated prioritization of customer focus by exhibiting strong ownership of customer concerns and thoroughly attempts resolution.
- Ability to read, comprehend and deliver information quickly to diverse constituencies. Ability to multi-task within simultaneous oral and written activities.
- Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities using analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Highly motivated self-starter who can also work as a member of a virtual team, leveraging a variety of channels to communicate with teammates and leadership.
- Strong computer skills required, including demonstrated experience with computer applications using Windows and related software applications.
- Typing proficiency of 50 WPM and ability to satisfactorily pass a pre-hire technology assessment and training assessments.
- Demonstrated experience working with Salesforce, online fundraising applications, mobile apps, social media, etc. preferred.
- Keen attention to detail & effective time management skills required.
- Comfortable working in a constantly changing environment, adapting quickly to new techniques and process changes, and can act as a change agent.
- Proven ability to multi-task, including the ability to read, comprehend and deliver information quickly to diverse audiences.
- Ability to handle pressure/stress, handle responses to criticism tactfully and maintain professional demeanor.
- Demonstrates excellent judgment and decision-making skills.
- Spanish language fluency desirable but not mandatory.
Special Mental or Physical Demands
- Work is conducted within a virtual contact center environment. Home office must meet privacy and internet requirements.
- Available to consistently participate in approximately 9 weeks of required virtual training on a fixed schedule.
- Ability to adhere to a rigid schedule and work in a sedentary and somewhat repetitious environment. Flexible to work between the hours of 7:00 a.m. CST and 7:00 p.m. CST including weekends and holidays.
The expected starting rate for this position is $18.75 per hour. *Actual starting pay may differ based on geographic location
The American Cancer Society has adopted a vaccination policy that requires all staff, regardless of position or work location, to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (except where prohibited by state law).
ACS provides staff a generous paid time off policy; medical, dental, retirement benefits, wellness programs, and professional development programs to enhance staff skills. Further details on our benefits can be found on our careers site at: jobs.cancer.org/benefits. We are a proud equal opportunity employer.