Course Instructor I, Applied Algebra, Calculus, Probability and Statistics, General Education at Western Governors University - WGU
Course Instructor I, Applied Algebra, Calculus, Probability and Statistics, General Education
- Home Office
- Full time
Student learning is the primary responsibility of WGU faculty. Course Instructors are subject matter experts who teach and mentor students engaged in their assigned courses. Course Instructors vary the type, length, and intensity of instructional method based upon student needs. Course Instructors work on a team and provide personalized outreach and instruction. Using technology, Course Instructors interact with students in both group and one-on-one settings. As part of WGU’s learner centered faculty model, Course Instructors collaborate with the faculty, utilize shared resources to advance student outcomes, and create relevance for learners.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Acts as a steward for carrying out WGU’s mission and strategic vision; as well as the mission of the math team – To empower students to value and apply mathematics every day.The Course Instructormust demonstrate a high level of commitment to WGU’s guiding principles effectively and consistently.
- Provides expertise in assigned content area and maintains current knowledge in their field.
- Fosters personalized student learning through innovative teaching practices.
- Responds with urgency to meet student needs and communicates professionally and respectfully with students and all other members of the WGU community.
- Offers proactive support and outreach to students.
- Uses technology-based teaching and communication platforms to aid students in the development of competencies.
- Collaborates with other professionals within the university to promote a positive, student-obsessed atmosphere.
- Collaborates and coordinates with team members around student success.
- Participates in and or leads training activities.
- Respondswith urgencyto changing requirements, priorities, and short deadlines.
- Consistently exhibits WGU Leadership Principles and Cultural Beliefs.
- Creates relevance and mentor students to develop a growth mindset.
Knowledge and Abilities
- Must demonstrate technological competency, including adopting new tools, processes, and platforms.
- Extraordinary customer service and communication skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with ability to present information clearly, concisely, and accurately; friendly, persuasive speaking and writing style.
- Well organized – conscientious and thorough with detail.
- A growth and team-based mindset.
- Doctorate in Mathematics or similar content area. Education must be from an accredited institution. Education is verified.
- Separate qualifications and/or licensure may be required for some degree programs.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience providing student support and instruction in Introductory Probability & Statistics; experience with College Algebra and Calculus a plus. Must have demonstrated ability to work with at-risk learners.
- State and/or federal legislative requirements and/or college accreditation requirements may apply in order to maintain the necessary credentialing for this role.
- Qualifications and/or licensure/certifications vary by degree programs.
- Works from home within the continental United States but is available to travel to meetings as required.
- Ability to work a student-friendly schedule (evenings/weekends)
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!