Corresponding Editor – Physics at American Physical Society - APS
Corresponding Editor – Physics Magazine (part-time, freelance remote)
American Physical Society
Location: Ridge, New York
Work Function: Editorial/Writing
Discipline: Physics: Astrophysics, Physics: Physics
Preferred Education: Masters
Physics Magazine Seeks a Corresponding Editor (part-time, freelance, remote)
Physics (http://physics.aps.org) is an online magazine from the American Physical Society aimed at the international physics community. The publication features news and commentary articles about papers in the Physical Review journals, as well as stories about people, events, and general research developments in physics.
The publication is growing, and we are looking for a talented freelance writer/editor in the physical sciences, with roughly 20 hours per week available to work with our staff as a Corresponding Editor.
- Choose and report on the best stories in the Physical Review journals
- Work with scientists to make their explanations of research results clear and lively
- Contribute news features, interviews with physicists, and other pieces that go beyond highlighting journal papers
- Report from conferences or scientific institutions a few times per year
- A Masters or Ph.D. in physics or astrophysics
- 3 or more years of experience writing and/or editing articles about the physical sciences for nonspecialists. Relevant experience includes working for the news section of a journal, a science magazine (print or online), or the press office of a scientific institution.
- Highly organized with ability to balance assignments while working under tight deadlines
The editorial team is based at the APS Editorial Offices in Ridge, New York, about 60 miles from New York City. The Corresponding Editor could be located anywhere in the world, and they would enjoy flexible working hours and a competitive pay rate. For general information about the American Physical Society and its journals, see http://www.aps.org.
Interested applicants should email firstname.lastname@example.org. A complete application must include a CV, a cover letter explaining interest in the position and pay expectations, a 250-word Synopsis of a recent paper in the Physical Review journals that has not been highlighted in Physics, and two recent writing samples. (See http://physics.aps.org for examples of a Synopsis.) The deadline to apply is October 30.
The American Physical Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Telecommuting is allowed.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!