Title: Corporate Counsel
Location: Distributed, US
At Elastic, we have a simple goal: to solve the world’s data problems with products that delight and inspire. As the company behind the popular open source projects Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash, and Beats we help people around the world do phenomenal things with their data. From stock quotes to real time Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, our products are extending what’s possible with data, delivering on the promise that good things come from connecting the dots. The Elastic family unites employees across 30+ countries into one coherent team, while the broader community spans across over 100 countries.
We seek to hire the sixteenth attorney to join our legal department in this fast growing, truly globally distributed company. This is primarily a work from home position and we are focusing on lawyers located in the US Eastern, Central and Mountain time zones, but may be open to other locations.
What You Will Be Doing:
- You will negotiate, structure, and close outbound commercial contracts, supporting our Sales and Business Development organizations in the Americas.
- You will also negotiate, structure and close agreements with vendors, working in collaboration our strategic sourcing, operations, marketing, IT and other teams.
In addition, you will:
- Engage closely with the Company’s partner and sales organizations on such other projects and regulatory issues as we may determine.
- Help build and strengthen communications and relationships between the Legal and client departments.
- Help manage incoming agreements that are received from various departments within the Company.
- Work with an international organization on groundbreaking Big Data technology that’s having a real impact, across the globe, with unlimited use cases and massive market opportunity.
- Partner with co-workers who are sharp and motivated, combined with a company culture that is open, welcoming and unequaled.
What You Bring Along:
- You have 3 to 5 years of experience in the drafting and negotiation of technology contracts, at least some of which was spent at a major national or international law firm, excellent judgment, and are able to balance legal risks with business strategy.
- You thrive while independently running your own time in a demanding, fast-paced environment, and can handle ambiguity and rapidly shifting priorities with flexibility, patience, and humor.
You also have/are:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- A self-starting, proactive, driven, adaptable person who can, with poise and patience, prioritize and balance multiple projects and recalibrate advice in view of shifting priorities, legal developments, and risk tolerance.
- Experience with, or at least a good working knowledge of, complex software licensing business models and related legal issues.
- Demonstrated ability to consistently deliver extraordinary, thoughtful, user-experience focused results in a dynamic environment.
- Familiarity with data protection and privacy issues and concerns in the context of technology transactions is a significant plus.
- Prior experience representing high-growth companies is wstrongly preferred.
- Ability to collaborate and function well in a distributed team environment.
- Ability to participate in some limited travel requirements.
- A JD from a top law school.
- A license to practice law in one of the 50 United States.
We’re looking to hire team members invested in realizing the goal of making real-time data exploration easy and available to anyone. As a distributed company, we believe that diversity drives our vibe! Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary.
- Global minimum of 16 weeks parental leave (moms & dads).
- Generous vacation time and one week of volunteer time off.
- An environment in which you can balance satisfying work with a great life.
- Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
- Distributed-first company with Elasticians in over 30 countries, spread across 18 time zones, and speaking over 30 languages.
Elastic is an Equal Employment employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. Elastic also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law.