Corporate Counsel, Privacy at Rimini Street
Corporate Counsel, Privacy
Job Location: US-IL-Chicago; US-CA-Pleasanton; US-Remote; US-NV-Las Vegas
Job ID: 2019-5969
Rimini Street, Inc. (Nasdaq: RMNI) is a global provider of enterprise software products and services, the leading third-party support provider for Oracle and SAP software products and a Salesforce partner. The Company was founded to disrupt and redefine the enterprise software support market by developing innovative new products and services, providing ultra-responsive service and delivering outstanding value to clients. Over 1,850 global Fortune 500, midmarket, public sector and other organizations from a broad range of industries currently rely on Rimini Street as their trusted, third-party support provider.
The company is widely recognized by clients, leading industry analysts (including Gartner, Forrester, Constellation Research and Nucleus), and financial analysts as the leader in a large, fast growing market with tremendous upside and an extremely strong value proposition that resonates with CIOs and CFOs.
We actively seek a Corporate Counsel, Privacy resident in Las Vegas NV, Pleasanton CA or Remote.
Rimini Street views all employees as partners, and is committed to providing an exciting, participatory and team-oriented work environment. In addition to our very competitive compensation packages, be prepared for challenging professional growth and fun along the way in our work-hard, play-hard corporate environment.
The Corporate Counsel, Privacy will report to the SVP & Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer (“CECO”) and will be responsible for assisting the CECO with the design, implementation, day-to-day operation, and review of all global privacy compliance efforts related to a listed public company. This position is responsible for assisting the CECO with aligning the geographic regions and various organizational / departmental functions around a uniform approach to enterprise risk management; implementing common standards and controls to address enterprise risk; educating and training leaders, employees, and third parties regarding these standards and controls; and working cross-functionally to monitor, audit, and assist with the investigation of possible violations, all as further described below. Finally, this position ensures that privacy compliance efforts and issues are effectively reported to the CECO.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
As directed by the CECO, the Corporate Counsel, Privacy will perform or assist with the following matters:
- Builds strong relationships with senior management, management, business unit leads, operations and other staff in all global locations to further the purpose of the role; works across functions, regions and business units to effectively further the Company’s global privacy compliance program.
- Communicates and collaborates with the Ethics & Compliance team in an effective manner, including the preparation of, and adherence to, budgets and operational plans to achieve desired objectives.
Standards and Controls:
- Develops, maintains and periodically reviews the Company’s privacy compliance policies, procedures and protocols to ensure adherence to applicable Rimini Street standards as well as applicable laws and regulations.
- Works closely with internal business teams on long-term data protection projects to guide their implementation of privacy controls.
- Coordinates annual renewal of Privacy Shield self-certification.
- Identifies, assesses, and provides guidance regarding privacy compliance risks related to applicable laws, regulations and third-party (client, vendor, partner, etc.) contractual obligations in the context of Rimini Street’s business, services and the commercial environment in which it operates.
- Provides subject matter expertise to the commercial legal and sales teams during negotiation of privacy and data protection agreements.
- Advises business teams on day-to-day questions about data privacy obligations and commitments.
- Determines the risk to the business of changes in data processing and advising business teams on new or changed uses of data.
- Coordinates and assists with third-party due diligence initiatives with regard to prospective clients, vendors and partners to ensure appropriate risk mitigation as well as compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Assists with privacy compliance due diligence and integration efforts related to mergers and acquisitions.
Monitoring, Auditing and Response:
- Assists with the development and day-to-day operation of policies, programs, procedures and tools designed to ensure compliance with applicable privacy laws and regulations.
- Recommends and partners with management and/or business unit leaders on assessing privacy compliance audit and investigation results, and recommending and executing appropriate responses to same.
- Partners with the Office of the General Counsel in response to regulatory audits and government investigations.
Education and Training:
- Develops and delivers training regarding privacy laws and regulations as well as all compliance policies and procedures in a clear, effective, and timely manner to management, employees, and third parties.
- Periodically reviews and updates privacy compliance education and training programs to meet new compliance laws, regulations, contractual obligations, updates to the Code of Business Conduct and Ethics and Rimini Street’s compliance, policies, procedures and standards, or in response to violations of same.
- Coordinates with the Legal and Global Security teams in the event of a privacy-related incident that requires the involvement of the Ethics & Compliance team.
- Prepares materials and makes presentations to Rimini Street’s management and/or employees as requested regarding the Company’s Global Ethics and Compliance Program as well as privacy compliance matters generally.
- Assists with the preparation of materials and presentations to the Rimini Street Board of Directors and/or Audit Committee regarding the Company’s Global Ethics and Compliance Program as well as privacy compliance matters generally.
- Adheres to Rimini Street policies on ethics and integrity.
- Promotes a culture of compliance by fostering an environment of open and honest communication with all employees of all levels – reinforcing the importance of conducting oneself in an ethical manner.
- Drives operational efficiencies by setting measurable goals and working on leveraging and deploying new and existing technologies to improve efficiencies in the compliance programs across the organization.
- Regularly attends courses and seminars to keep up to date with regulatory, market and industry developments.
- May perform other additional duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Las Vegas, NV; Pleasanton, CA; Chicago, IL or remote, US.
- Graduate of an accredited American law school and currently licensed to practice law in the employee’s state of residence
- At least 10 years of relevant legal experience in private practice, in-house, or preferably both is required.
- At least five (5) years of in-house experience with a multi-national business in a privacy compliance role is required.
- Experience designing, implementing, and monitoring privacy compliance programs is required.
- Experience negotiating contracts with customers and vendors, including data protection terms, is required.
- Experience responding to data breach situations or managing data breach notifications is a plus.
- Experience with advising a business on navigating the rapidly-evolving global privacy law landscape is a plus.
- Experience with public companies is preferred.
- Familiarity with tech or IP industry a plus.
- A certification such as CIPP/US, CIPP/E, or CIPP/A is a plus.
- Ability to work remotely when not physically present at primary place of employment.
- Ability to perform the essential functions of the position, as described above and as modified from time to time based on the needs of the Company.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills, including the ability to participate in conference calls, meetings with third-parties, and presentations to the Company’s Executive Officers and Board.
- Ability to work both independently, as a self-starter with strong work ethic, as well as collaboratively as team player with the CECO and Ethics & Compliance Department.
- Excellent judgment and the ability to function in a highly confidential environment.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Able to manage multiple priorities with “can do” attitude, work cross-functionally and meet tight deadlines.
- Typically up to 15% domestic and international travel.
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint required.
- Experience with Microsoft Teams, GoToMeeting or Skype a plus.
- Personable, self-starting team player with a friendly demeanor and great sense of humor.
- Proactive, organized, self-motivated and self-disciplined.
- Willing and able to work in a fast-paced, emerging technology company environment.
Rimini Street, Inc. (Nasdaq: RMNI) is a global provider of enterprise software products and services, and the leading third-party support provider for Oracle and SAP software products. The Company has redefined enterprise software support services since 2005 with an innovative, award-winning program that enables licensees of IBM, Microsoft, Oracle, Salesforce, SAP and other enterprise software vendors to save up to 90 percent on total maintenance costs. Clients can remain on their current software release without any required upgrades for a minimum of 15 years. Over 1,700 global Fortune 500, midmarket, public sector and other organizations from a broad range of industries currently rely on Rimini Street as their trusted, third-party support provider.
The company is widely recognized by clients, leading industry analysts (including Gartner, Forrester, Constellation Research and Nucleus), and financial analysts as the leader in a large, fast growing market with tremendous upside and an extremely strong value proposition that resonates with CIOs and CFOs. With tight IT budgets and flat global economic growth, IT and procurement professionals are actively looking for proven methods to cut costs while improving service. Rimini Street enables organizations to free up budget for strategic business initiatives by delivering savings of up to 90 percent on total maintenance and support costs, and to date, the company has saved organizations over $3 billion in maintenance costs.
Be Treated Like the Best
- Rimini Street hires only the best – and provides the compensation, bonus and benefit programs appropriate for proven top-performing professionals. We want our employees to have an opportunity to share in the financial success that results from our dedication to service excellence, high-quality deliverables and an unparalleled client experience
- No bureaucracy, thousand-page rule books or politics — just everyone working together to build a great company through service excellence and client success
- Work hard, play hard environment – Rimini Street is a group of hard-working professionals who are passionate about achieving success, but we also enjoy opportunities to meet up at fun company events
- We are also passionate about giving back to our communities around the world, with plenty of opportunities for volunteering and charity through the Rimini Street Foundation
- All Rimini Street professionals are encouraged to grow and learn new skills
Accelerating Company Growth
- Trading on Nasdaq: RMNI since October 2017
- Added to the US Russell 2000® Index in 2018
- Over 1,700 active clients, including 98 of the Fortune 500 and Global 100
- 2018 Q3 revenue results of $62.6 million, a quarterly increase of 17% year over year
- Supports client operations in 119 countries
Recent Industry Recognition
- Received 33 awards in total in 2018, including 23 awards for excellence in customer service from the International Stevie Awards, the American Stevie Awards, and the Stevie Awards for Sales & Customer Service
- Honored with three Company of the Year awards in 2018, including two gold Stevie awards
- Made the 2018 list for Bay Area Top Places to Work
- The Rimini Street Foundation recognized with a Golden Bridge award in 2018 for Corporate Social Responsibility Program of the Year
To learn more about how Rimini Street is redefining the enterprise software support industry, visit http://www.riministreet.com
Rimini Street is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender or gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!